*grin* So, a few months ago we had a speaker at work for MLK JR month. (We have speakers every month in honor of "national whatever month," it's fun, they're usually interesting and they always have cookies. Anyway.) He talked about different ways that we, as well educated scientists, could get involved in our communities and talked about the different mentoring programs they have available... a lot of kids in the city schools don't even know that science is more than a subject in school, it can be a career. And I remember way back when, one of my cousins was a Big Brother... but... it's a big time commitment and I don't exactly live very close.... and then I saw on the BBBS website that they have a lunch program. You get to meet with your Little during their lunch at school at least twice a month and eat with them, help with homework, and be their friend. Which is perfect.
I filled out all the paper work and they did another background check... I'm starting to get a little worried that all these checks are going to send up a red flag someplace. Seriously, twice for work in the last two years and now a DCFS check. And I, of course, forgot to give my 'non-family references' the heads up so they've been telling me how confused they were that somebody was asking about "Jennifer K" and not connecting it with me. Oops.
Today was the first time I got to meet with her, and it might be the last time before school starts again in the fall. (I'm not allowed to have contact outside of school) She's 9, in 3rd grade, talkative, and has a completely different life than me. I told her I was married and she said, "so where's your ring?" *SIGH* She would pick up on that right away. I just said I didn't have one, and it was ok, I'm still married without one. Pretty sure it didn't click, because the next thing she said was "that boy should propose!" Haha... um... cue Beyonce..... it made me laugh.
Sooo... should be interesting. And good for me. It's already clear that I need to brush up on my knowledge of Disney and Nickelodeon.... *grin*
Blessings.
3 comments:
wyss vacation should get you all filled up on disney! :) hannah montana here we come!!:):) lol!
oh good...I was hoping I gave you a good reference and said all the right things. :)
Hooray for Hannah Montana and the Disney Channel! :P And for vacation!
Thanks Heidi! :D
Post a Comment