Sunday, July 26, 2015

Busy little Bee and the Great Flood of 2015

At least we hope it is the Great Flood of 2015, because I don't really want to do that again...
Little Bee officially started walking July 1st, but she really started walking more than scooting the week before vacation.  So now I come around the corner to sights like this:  trying to get daddy to open the cereal box she pilfered from the kitchen.
 I took the girls to the pool one morning.  Emmy loved the water.  Cecily is afraid of drains and spent most of the time out of the water. 
 Cecily wanted to water flowers (not that they need watering) and Emmy decided she wanted to play in it.
 She got very wet. 
 Walking seems to have sparked a whole new wave of busy-ness.  Woot.  She makes me tired.
 One brief instance when they were playing together nicely....
 She finished off the goldfish that I thought I had left out of reach.
 
Thursday night we got a lot of rain.  And a lovely thunderstorm.  We were downstairs with the girls for a while before we put them to bed.  And it rained and rained and rained.  And the sewer backed up because some genius thought it would be a good idea to tie the footing tiles from the houses and the storm drains all into the city sewer system and it can't handle that much water at once.  Thankfully there is a check valve in our yard that keeps the sewer from backing up into our basement, however it does not keep ground water from filling the clay tile line....  so at some point in the night the drains exploded and the basement got wet.

I discovered it when I went downstairs with a basket of laundry... and my foot hit wet carpet.  Aaaaaahh.  I was planning on spending the day packing for vacation.  Instead I got to clean up a wet basement.  woot.  Poor Bob got a slightly tearful phone call and came home from work early (thankfully he could do some work remotely), Emmy took a surprise super long nap, my Mom came to keep the girls out of the way, and Sharon loaned us their super wet/dry vac.  Once I got over the initial shock, it really wasn't horrible.  We had puddles, but not inches of standing water, and wet carpet.  Once we carried out all the sopping wet cardboard boxes I was hoarding it was just a matter of mopping the concrete floors and vacuuming the carpet. 

Most of our 'stuff' was off the floor or in plastic tubs.  I had a trunk that I thought was plastic... it's plastic coated plywood that was not water tight.  It had some sentimental treasures and my scrapbooks in it and they all got wet.  Sad news.  I think most of it is salvageable though. 

There were some Legos left on the floor the night before that I found by the drain in the other room...  they floated there.  So weird.  We got done with clean up by supper time and had lots of fans and a new dehumidifier going full blast on the carpet.  I'm so glad it happened Thursday and not Friday.

Then we got to start packing for Wyss vacation. And Emmy decided she wasn't tired since she slept half the afternoon.  So she would undo everything I had just packed.... and she didn't go to sleep until 1 am.  We did not get an early start in the morning. 
Blessings. 

No comments: