Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Treasures, a Concussion, and a poor sick geerl

Other than laundry and weeding (the vines!  they are insidious! oh, and crabgrass in the garden makes me twitchy) we had a pretty quiet week after vacation. 
Some silly girls playing with Bob's headphones:
So I'm sure you're all wondering what sorts of treasures I had been saving in a porous box in the basement....   they included a towel embroidered with a "J" that was my Great-Grandma Julia's.  And the cute little pair of lace gloves I wore at Aunt Lori's wedding.   
 Ooooo.... this is the first ever 'quilt' I made!  I started it in grade school and added to it several times.  It appears that I knotted parts of it too...  I can't get rid of it. *grin*
 I was very sad when this box felt damp, but it seems to have dried out as strong as it was before.  It's a tea set!  It was my mom's and I'm not sure who gave it to her. It's real china from Japan so the girls can't play with it for a while.
 Tapes!  My birthday tape (I'm sure mom misses that one), an interview of Grandma Wyss for school, and my Grandpa Schlipf reading "the Cat in the Hat."  I haven't tried to play them yet so I hope they dried out and still work.
 Matt's not the only one in the family with a farm toy collection.  Mine might even be cooler...  my tractor has 3 attachments.
 And I have a milk parlor!  The farmer's sprayer hose is lost to the ages, but the rest is in working condition.  Too bad they aren't jersey cows...
 This just makes me laugh.  Every time. 
 *cough*  If you can't read the bottom it says "boys are dumb."
 And last, but not least, my soggy scrapbook.  It's a true scrapbook, nothing fancy.  Mostly just programs from school events and newspaper articles from band and scholastic bowl and brochures from vacations.
 Last Saturday was a lovely day so the girls put on their swimsuits and we washed off the porch railing and the porch floor... that composite plastic is nice, but it doesn't hide dirt like wood.  Bob washed both our vehicles.
Emmy had a blast playing in the soapy water.
 Cecily was scrubbing the floor.  Ha.  That brush was for the railing, and she didn't last long.
 And then Cecily slipped and fell on the wet concrete and hit her head.  *sigh*  It was worse this time.  She definitely passed out.  It was pretty scary.  And cried and cried when she came to.  When she started throwing up Bob called the after hours nurse and they recommended that we take her to the ER.  Emmy got dropped of at Galen and Betty's with Rustin and Sharon to play and we went to the hospital.  She was really drowsy and not herself and they had a hard time keeping her awake to check both eyes and look in ears....  and she threw up the anti-nausea meds...no fun.  They did a CT scan which was kind of cool to watch.  Cecily was very brave, she did pretty good holding still inside the 'donut.'  I got to see the scans and you could see her adult teeth behind her baby teeth inside her skull!  So weird.  The CT was fine (thankfully!), she kept the second try of the anti-nausea meds down, and was starting to act a little more normal so they sent us home.  She perked up a lot and didn't seem to mind having to rest and play with her Barbies. 
 Head injuries are weird.  It's scarier when you can't see what's wrong and if it's getting worse or better... so I woke her up in the middle of the night and we've been watching her and making her "rest."  Ha.  She seems to be recovering fine and I think that she's had enough concussions now. 
The girls and I stayed home Sunday morning and listened online while Bob went to church.  My parents and Jake brought us ice cream that evening.
My little helpers.  Or something. 
 And then Emmy woke up Monday morning with a fever.  Woot.  She's a pretty happy sick girl unless she's hungry.  Which is most of the time.  Tylenol and outside helps.   
Blessings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your "treasures"!
Glad girls are back to health (I hope;).
As always, I enjoy the news.
ak