Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Summer smells like ripe sweetcorn

Summer is produce. Lots of produce.
Thursday evening Bob and I got to go to Steve and Mary's for supper with James and Brenda and some other young(ish) couples.  (We're really not in the young newlywed category anymore... ayiyiyi we're getting old.)  It was a really enjoyable evening- and so quiet without the girls. :)
We went to the farm last Friday to do some sweet corn.  The big girls helped shuck and clean and then they went to play with Grandma and Grandpa while I cut it off and cooked and bagged it.  It was also so cold for August!   I'm not usually shivering on the porch whilst doing corn...
 Little Emmy likes to do dishes. Both of her grandmas are very obliging.
 Saturday we did some work in the garden and the yard.  Cadence tried to take a bite out of every tomato.
 Bob is enjoying the pole saw he got for Christmas. This poor tree is slowly dying.  We had an arborist come look at our trees and this Ash and the Redbud need to be taken down.  Sad news.  But, like I said, Bob is enjoying cutting down the limbs he can reach with his saw.
 This is the "Restaurant of teddy grahams."  They ate almost a whole box and then didn't eat much supper.  But, I got work done: it was a good trade.
 Sunday evening was a lovely night for a band concert at the park.  We went a little bit early so the girls could play on the awesome playground that I remember playing on.
 I was worried that it would be packed and it wasn't so they got to do lots of exploring.
 When Mom and Dad heard we were going to be there, they decided to come too.... and Matt and Lena were eating out with them so they brought Jack...
 Eating popcorn and listening to the band.
Nathan and Shelly showed up too, so it was pretty much a family reunion.  Ha.  It was so fun.  I love band concerts at the park.  The second half of the show featured performances by Gym Corner gymnasts to go with the music.  Cecily thought that was pretty cool and now she thinks she needs to learn how to do gymnastics too.  She wanted me to teach her how to do cartwheels the next day.  In the front yard.  Our across the street neighbor never bats an eye, but I'm sure we provide much amusement...  one day I'm running around trying to catch butterflies for the girls, the next day I'm doing cartwheels..... and since I'm over thirty it hurts the next day!  :P
When we were buying seeds this spring the girls grabbed a bunch of seed packets that they wanted to plant.  We really didn't have room for watermelon, but I planted them and figured we wouldn't actually grow any.  But we did!  These two grew outside of the garden fence, and we were debating when to pick them when the little one split.  It was ready and tasted pretty good- we'll cut into the big one in the next day or so and see if it's good or not.
 They each have a treasure box for rocks/sticks/leaves that we keep in the garage.  They were lining up their treasures one afternoon.
 Tuesday we were invited to my Great-uncle's pond for the afternoon.  It was a really nice day for swimming.  (And they treat the pond so there isn't any "icky moss." City kids.)
 Exploring with little Gideon.
 Russell and Cecily were catching little minnows.  Cadence thought she could paddle board by herself. Emmy was moving sand from the beach to the lake. It was a lovely afternoon.
 I can climb!  Now I can make messes on the floor and on the table!
 We attempted to get Cadence's one year pictures taken.  Except she fell asleep in the car and was a total grouch when she woke up.  So we rescheduled.  Only to have them call me today to say they are closing permanently and they won't be taking any more pictures.  *sigh*  Poor kid will be practically 2 before we get 1 year pictures done!  Of course, she perked up when we stopped at the playground.
 We did get to do the second half of our shopping that day.  We told Cecily that once she's in Kindergarten she doesn't need to take a big toy bag to church, we'd go buy her a purse to put a few things in.  And, she had a lot of skirts/skorts to wear this summer and she reeealllly wanted dresses, so I said we could go shopping for a first day of school dress.  She picked out this pink purse for church and a dress for school.  We also came home with things for Emmy and Cadence because they were feeling a little left out.  This is why I online shop when they are asleep.  She was so excited and actually wanted to go to Wednesday night church just to show off her purse.  Hehe.
 I hosted sewing club on Thursday night.  Bob took the girls to his parents' for the evening.  I confess that I spent a few minutes just sitting enjoying the quiet before I got food ready....  we had mashed potato bar with mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, and lots of toppings.  And I made cheesecake for the first time ever.  They turned out pretty good, I guess?  I'm not a big cheesecake fan- I'd probably rather eat a cake or fruit based dessert- but with the right crust they are gluten free and the mashed potato bar is gluten free and we have two with Celiac in our group, so why not.
Friday the girls went to play at "Betty's house."  I hear alllll  about Betty's house.  Pretty much, it's cooler than our house. hehe.  While they were there, I went to Hobby Lobby and bought too much fabric and patterns because they were 99 cents.  They had this Mario princess pattern and someone is so excited to get a dress like Princess Peach.  Except I didn't get any fabric for that.
In the evening Cecily went to KIDS day and Emmy was very jealous.  Poor kid.
Saturday we did some swimming.  Someone couldn't wait to put her swimsuit on.  Silly baby.
 And made 7 quarts of tomato sauce.
 Bob spent the evening at Dang's so I took the girls to the grade school playground.  Cadence has no fear.
 Sunday was the first day of Sunday School for Emmy!  She was so happy to finally get to do something like Cecily!  She came home singing her version of "Only a Boy Named David" and told us she didn't sing "This Little Light of Mine."
 So this stray cat has taken up residence under the neighbors porch.  The girls think it's the best thing ever.  Cadence loves it.
 It doesn't seem to mind the girls at all.
 I'm so glad it's at the neighbors and not trying to live at our house.....
Bob got the girls an illustrated version of, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe."  Cecily 'reads' it to Emmy.
So far this week we've got the Piano tuned, 7 quarts of peaches canned, and the girls got to go to babysitting night at "Christy's house."  They had a blast and will probably try and invite themselves over again sometime.  (Ryan has been relegated to being "Christy's man." Haha. Sorry Ryan.) Bob and I ate Sonic in peace and quiet and got the garbage collected and taken out.  This is how we date night eight years and 3 kids in.  Woot!
Blessings.

No comments: