Monday, October 08, 2018

Flotsam and Jetsam

It's been quiet around here, which we love.  It's supposed to be fall now though it hasn't really felt like it.
They should probably spend more time outside while it's nice, but sometimes I'm just lazy and don't want to go out. Or I have things to get done inside... and they refuse to go outside with me.  
 There's always an audience for Cecily's piano lesson.  When they start to get too involved and loud they get to fry their brains on the tablet... so it's pretty much a win win for the younger two.
 Aunt Shelly went to Tanner's and brought us back cider doughnuts.  Cadence is very happy: favorite shirt and a doughnut, life is good.
 Pretty sure I can no longer be expected to go in my basement or do laundry ever again.  (Thankfully, I've only seen two of this nasty large variety this year... wolf spiders are so awful.) Also, it's vindication for not letting the girls leave blankets/ couch cushions on the floor downstairs- see what could be lurking underneath!??
 I have a goal of reading at least 12 books this year (I've surpassed it- more on that later...).  This one was finally available at the library and it was well worth the wait.  Such a good read.
 The older girls got to bounce on the inflatables after the walk-a-thon.  It took Emmy a little bit to warm up.
 Cecily didn't stop moving the whole time.
 Bob wanted to camp with the girls so we set the tent up that afternoon.  
 They were soooo excited, and if tents had walls they would have been bouncing off of them.
 We burned some of our firewood from our tree felling adventure last year.
 Hot dogs over the fire for supper...
 and S'mores later. Well sort of.  They take after me and don't really like warm marshmallows.  Basically they'd rather just eat chocolate.  Also, all we had were chocolate graham crackers and strawberry marshmallows (Emmy is fond of the pink ones.).  I thought it was a good combo.
 It was supposed to get down into the low 50's that night so we bundled them up for bed and took out extra bedding. Things went down hill at bedtime... first there was an incident with a flashlight that caused a bloody nose.  Then Cecily chickened out.  And Cadence refused to settle down.  So they ended up inside in their beds with me.  Emmy and Bob braved the cold and made it outside the whole night! 
The next day was garage sale day, which we didn't go to any... but the neighbor had this on their sale and I just couldn't pass it up.  I don't know where we'll put it yet... but.... it's so cute!
The big girls got to go play at Hanna and Eva's house for a few hours.  They had so much fun and didn't want to come home.
 It has been so warm... they want to wear their fall church dresses with the sweaters but it's not sweater weather.  Then we had a chilly Sunday so I said they could, but by the time church was over it was back up in the 80's and they were hot.  And before anyone calls them 'prairie dresses',  they're not.  Probably best described as 'modern vintage' or 'classic English.'  Because there's a difference.  Haha.  So far Emmy's the only one who looks like she stepped out of "the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" (also a great read), but hopefully when the other girls will agree to wear actual shoes they will too.    
 That evening we all met Jake and Rachel halfway in Galesburg for supper and birthdays.  Cecily was very touched by her birthday card... and looooved all of her presents.  
 When you turn 30, the presents aren't as exciting, unfortunately.  Jake got jerky from us.  Since I'm not exactly the best gift giver.
 Cadence kept busy during Emmy's story hour.  She found a spot for all of the reading buddies to sit.
 We picked up Griffin for a few hours after story hour, but he didn't get to stay long enough to see Cecily on her birthday.  
She requested a heart cake with chocolate cake and chocolate frosting; super easy, which I love. And my mom just happened to have heart cake pans.  I really didn't put a lot of effort into making it look nice, obviously, but she thought it was soooo pretty.
 How is she 7 already?
 Bob has been raving/hinting about a chocolate mousse cake someone brought to work, so I filled it with chocolate mousse.  It was delicious...
 So excited to open presents!
 She's pretty spoiled, even if she doesn't think so.
 Friday was a half day of school so we girls went to the farm for lunch.  It was wet, so no combining, but we got to meet baby Aurelia.  Cecily was the only one interested in holding her.  She's so tiny!  
 Cadence dressed herself that morning.  #notworththefight 
 So last year there was a pumpkin field next to Dad's corn field and we rescued a few that had grown into the corn one windy day.  Michelle saved the seeds and planted them so she grew a bunch of Libby's pumpkins this year and let me have one. It was big.
 And I ended up with 22 cups of puree.  Not sure what I will do with all of this since I'm not really a big pumpkin everything (or anything)fan.  I'll just be bringing pumpkin pie to every event in the next year. Seriously though, apple everything is just so much better.  
Blessings.

No comments: