Once upon a time,
In August, I had an idea.
So I bought this empty clock case on ebay.
It was a blank canvas.It needed a floor so I gave it a wooden one; worn in all the right spots and stained from use.
I wired some lights and a tiny flickering bunsen burner.
Gave it a ceiling, filled in the walls.
Built shelves and covered the walls with textured card stock.
It wanted picture rail...
and crown molding. (this was hard. I still see spots that aren't quite right.)
Put in a new old window.
This hutch became a secretary type desk.
Every tiny chemist needs a tiny lab bench.
Dry fitting the bbq sauce packet sink...
and bench top.
Added a shelf for storage.
And a drying rack for all of the dishes.
She needed a fume hood. (vintage version- circa 1910 ish) And a leather inlay desk top.
Some tiny glassware came from England so we had to try them out.
The giants have been very curious.
The chemicals arrived and are put away somewhat neatly. The desk has a good selection of reference books. It's ready to go whenever our tiny chemist steps thru the door.
AAAAaaaahhh. It turned out soooo cute! I'm slightly enamored with it, if you can't tell.
I love chemistry, I love tiny things, it's a match made in heaven.
Some of the chemicals are real. There's silica gel from those packets you get with new shoes in the desiccator. Copper sulfate crystals are such a pretty blue.
There's a picture of Marie herself on the wall... and two different early versions of the periodic table. Our tiny chemist won an award; the bouquet they gave her is still going strong.
She keeps an apron handy so as not to spoil her clothes. Her desk is slightly messy, like all good chemists.
She likes washing lab glassware about as much as I do. There's never enough lab space so she's making her windowsill work too, with more glassware and a tiny balance and gram masses.
Teeny tiny graduated cylinder and adorable vacuum flask.
The view from the front is so fun too!
It feels like you're looking through a window into a real lab.
There's a reaction happening in that crucible on top of the bunsen burner.
The cabinets don't open, but I'd imagine they are full of fascinating things.
The hood is full, of course. I've never seen an empty fume hood.
She likes to read Popular Science and Scientific American when she gets a chance.
In between proof reading the research papers she's written. (This one just so happens to be one my boss wrote and I did a lot of the lab work for.)
Plenty of compounds and reagents to play with.
And then I stuck pictures from my beloved Alma Mater in front of the window and it went from cute to positively magical.
Looking out on the Morrow Plots.
Beautiful Noyes Lab in the snow...
She stayed so late the lights were on at Foellinger.
So that's what I've been doing late at night when the girls are asleep... there are still a few more accessories I'd like to add, but it's pretty much done. I'd also like to put some kind of clear cover over the back, both for dust and for protection from the girls. (And me too, really.)
Also, I have no idea where I will put it. :)
Also, One of the old curved mantle clocks that sort of look like a little hill or bump would make an amazing miniature hobbit hole. If somebody needs a project.
Blessings.







































1 comment:
This. is. adorable.
Post a Comment