Sunday, January 05, 2020

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

So. Wyss Christmas was the 28th.  We had to get up bright and early and haul all the way over to Roanoke... because apparently the powers that be dithered about the date for too long and nothing was available closer.  Breakfast started promptly at 10... or something like that.  It was amazing and almost makes the drive worth it. hehe.
 It was time for presents after we cleaned up.  So impatiently patient....  
 So thrilled!  "Did Grandma Lydiann find my list??!!"  
 It's very hard to share you new paw patrol tower that only comes with one pup...  
 Since some people eat 'Brunch' when we normally eat breakfast and don't plan lunch, I brought a bunch of lunchables for the children who don't understand the concept of eating a late-ish breakfast, skipping lunch, and eating an early supper.  And for Troy.  Ladies, he's single, enjoys long walks on the beach, traveling, and is great with kids.  hehe.    They were eating under the table. Just because. 
 Helping Boden with his legos...
 I got to play a hand of Rook with Scott and Abby and Ned.  I couldn't remember the last time I had played Rook.  And now Ned's in Singapore so who knows when I'll get to play Rook with him again.  Abby and I won.  :)
 They make us take a grandchildren picture every year, and this year they got the adults too.  It was amusing.
 Miri looks like she's about to slug Emmy. 
 Uncle Fred telling a bunch of kids how he hurt his face.  
 The girls barely stopped running all. day. long.  Cecily and Emarie were a (wild and crazy) pair and they were sad when it was time to leave.  
 But all good things must come to an end, and we had to get to bed so we could get up for church in the morning.  :P  We did set up their new game from Emarie (*cough* Austin *cough*).  They were not so sure about it... and honestly, I can't decide if it's horrifying or hilarious... meet "Pimple Pete."  If you pull out his pimples wrong, he sprays you with water.  
Rest day... no plans, just spread out the toys and the crafts and chill.  
We didn't make any plans for New Years.  The girls all seemed pretty tired of going places, plus, Miriel.  So we made some appetizer type snacks after church and let them drink pop.  I was going to put them to bed, but Bob thought we should let them watch a movie and then put them to bed when they got tired.  Yeah.  At 11:30 they were still wide awake, wound up, and driving me crazy.  So I made them go to bed because I was tired, but they were all up still at midnight. (I need a drink!  I need a kleenex! Is it midnight yet?)  And Miriel decided to stay up until 2 sooo... no rest for the weary.
We were all a little bleary the next morning...
 The rest of the week was pretty quiet.  We mostly stayed at home.  The Christmas decorations got put away and the presents found new homes and we cleaned.
Friday morning, Tim and Matt came and put in a water line so I finally have an automatic ice maker!!  O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!  After the whole fridge debacle last fall I had ordered an ice maker... which took an insane amount of time wading through fridge websites and online refrigerator manuals trying to find a model that was compatible with our older fridge.  And then it took several attempts to install it.  The ice maker needed an adapter to plug into an older fridge, but did they have that info in any of their manuals or websites or sell it with their kits?  Nooooo, of course not.  So I got it all hooked up in the freezer, and Bob helped jerry-rig the water valve into the right place and hooked up...  then we had to wait for Tim to see if we did it right.  I was pretty excited when they came. The girls were excited to show them all of their hatchimals... haha.  
We went to a farewell open house for Miss Sarah at the library.  Somehow we managed to not spill any lemonade and not get too many crumbs on the table.  I'll miss her, even if Cecily doesn't- "I probably won't remember her..."  
 24 hours later... Eeeee... a whole tray full of ICE!!  I am inordinately excited about this, I know.  It's just that I haven't had an ice maker in 10.75 years.  And I despise using ice cube trays.  It's too bad we didn't have an ice maker while I was pregnant with Miriel and couldn't drink anything at room temperature... thankfully, I can drink Dr Pepper at room temp. again, but NOW I DON'T HAVE TO! Unless I want to.  :P   
 We went over to the farm for a little bit on Saturday afternoon.  We did a puzzle, and Jack-e-boy came over.  The girls didn't want to play Pimple Pete again, but they were glad to show Grandma and Jack how.  Dad was at a blacksmithing class (why I don't know....) so we'll have to teach him some other time.  :)
Tomorrow we have to go back to school.  Mur.  It's been a good break. 
Blessings.

2 comments:

sarah said...

Roanoke is always worth the drive;)

Jenny said...

hehe. Indeed. Did I ever tell you that my practically dream house was for sale last year... in Roanoke? :D