Sunday, May 10, 2020

For die Mutti


*ahem*

She is overflowing bookshelves
is homemade ketchup and shelves of canning jars
She is farm house
and barnyard
She is peony bushes
whose roots first grew in Gridley
She is mother gledhill and hilda barth
is supper in the field and picnics on the road
She is how hard can it be? and #stubbornwysswomen
and resilience and perseverance
is songs around the piano and musicals on the record player
She is ‘tho your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow
She is wilderness canoe trips wishing for days on the beach
is chipped beef on toast and Cornish hens
is Chicken Pickin’ Day
is heirloom china in the dining room
Hours of Candyland; Sectors of Health
She is these moments- we arise and call her blessed





Happy Mothers Day!


*I feel like I should qualify this abysmal attempt at poetry with acknowledging that I borrowed strongly from the I am from/Praise poetry form.  At least it isn't mushy.  

No comments: