Monday, January 18, 2021

What we read in 2020

We because most of these books I read aloud to the girls. :)  I read more books myself this year than last (<5) because Miriel is slightly less needy, which is nice, and because I can sneak a few pages in while I'm waiting for her to fall asleep for naps and at night. I've been keeping track on Goodreads so these pictures are not in any particular order.  

1. Anne of Green Gables- I don't remember why I picked this up again.  I've read the whole series and this one is definitely the best.

2. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever- This is the second time I've read this to the girls, it may have to become a December tradition since we all enjoy it!

3. Stuart Little- The girls liked it, I thought it was weirder than I remember from reading it as a kid. It's a classic though.

4. Charlotte's Web- Cecily's teacher read this to her class and I figured Emmy and Cadence would probably like it too.  

5. A Circle of Quiet- Madeleine L'Engle non-fiction books take me forever to read because I have to think about everything.  But I love listening to her think.

6. Caroline- This is Little House on the Prairie told from Ma's perspective.  I enjoyed it, and it was clean, until the last chapter and then it went off the rails and got inappropriate and I was super annoyed.

7,8,9,10,11- By the Shores of Silver Lake, Little Town on the Prairie, The Long Winter, These Happy Golden Years, The First Four Years- We finished up the Little House books!  We should probably start over because the girls don't remember things that happen in the first books. :)

12. Poldark- Bob gave me the first three books of this series for Christmas a few years ago and I'm just now reading them.  It follows the life of a British soldier after he returns to England from fighting against the American colonists.

13. Household Sewing with Home Dressmaking- doesn't everyone read 1890's sewing manuals cover to cover for fun?  

14. Pippi goes on Board- we love Pippi Longstocking, the girls giggled through the whole book.

15, 16.  Magic Tree House Sunset of the Sabertooth and Thanksgiving on Thursday- Library Summer Reading prizes that we all read together.  

17,18,19,20,21,22. The American Girl Addy Series- We started these this summer when the protests and riots were happening.  They are great stories and they also do a good job of introducing the horrors of slavery and its aftermath while still being age appropriate.

23,24,25,26,27,28. The American Girl Felicity Series- since we were on a historical fiction kick and Felicity has a horse... :) 

29.  The Hobbit- I'd been debating when I should read this to the girls and decided we could always stop if it was over their heads.  Nope. They LOVED it.  Which I love.  

30. Demelza- book 2 in the Poldark series, just as good as the first book.

31. The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning- haha.  I read this book before I gave it to my aunts for Christmas.  It's written by an elderly Swedish woman and it's both funny and practical.  PSA: Don't leave your stuff for your kids to get rid of!  We don't want it or have time to get rid of it for you! :P

32. The Blue Fairy Book- an old collection of Fairy Tales.  Very much like Grimm's not sanitized stories.

33.  A Long Way from Chicago- this is such a good read aloud, but for slightly older kids.  It is hilarious, but most of it went completely over the girls heads and I had to explain so much and they still didn't get it.  We'll try again in a few years.

34.  The Littles and Their Amazing New Friend- I didn't realize that this was the second book in the series, I remember enjoying the first book in grade school.   The first book was better, this one was kind of dumb.  The girls liked it though.

35. Summer of the Great Grandmother
36. The Irrational Season- Both books from Madeleine L'Engle's Crosswicks series.  The first is about watching her mother fade away and die, the second is thoughts about life, work, Christianity all structured around the Liturgical year.  

37. The 24 Days Before Christmas- a L'Engle book for kids.  Can you tell I'm a fan?  

38. Jeremy Poldark- now that I've finished the first three, I should probably read the next three... 

39. Snow Treasure- the girls liked this book and Cadence was even acting out scenes from it (most nights while I read it doesn't seem like she's paying any attention at all...).  I remember reading it in grade school and was so intrigued with the kids sledding gold bricks past Nazis.  

There may be more that I forgot, and we also read many, many picture books.  :)

Blessings.
 

No comments: