Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Birthdays, Anniversaries, and More Birthdays, Oh My!

This is the face of a very pleased little girl.  Grandma Beutel offered us her silver tea service and we are very happy to give it a home.  I told Bob that now I really need a china cabinet; "um.... where are we going to put a china cabinet!?"  hehe.

Our grill rusted out two years ago, and Bob and Emmy really really wanted to get a smoker... so they found a small tailgate size smoker to "try out."  He had lots of help for its inaugural smoke. 
Little miss Miriel loves fresh peas from the indoor garden.  She won't touch them if they've been cooked and are on her plate, though. 
Chicken thighs on the smoker were a success! 
For a while Miriel was fighting nap time and staying up super late at night; so I tried to just drop nap time all together.... yeah, she would be fine until about supper time and then she would fall asleep in her high chair and be up until midnight.  We're back to a nap and late-ish nights.  Oh well.  This too shall pass.
She didn't want to take her church dress off and she picked every dandelion she could fit in her little fists. Flowees. Mi-we-el flowees.
12 years!  Clearly I'm getting old (and obviously not blogging often enough) because I can't remember what we did that day.  It was a Monday, so I did laundry.  Bob sent me flowers that were really pretty.  Also, we clearly don't go in for the whole must-go-out-to-eat or go do something on our anniversary.  Hooray for everydayness.  :)
They all like to dig in the landscaping right here.  I don't know why.  Mom was cleaning out the garden shed and found the cold frame that Dad and I made way back when.  They brought it over when they came for supper. 
Bob went mushroom hunting with Ben and found a bunch of mushrooms, and then it rained a lot, and Bob wanted to try smoking salmon, so clearly it was the perfect opportunity to have my favorite farmers over for smoked salmon and fresh mushrooms.  They spent the evening with us and got to listen in on piano lessons... haha.

Then it was Miriel's 2nd birthday!  Miri has suddenly fallen in love with Curious George- so she got a "Monkey George" cake.

She thought it was pretty cool.  Oo! Cake! Hat!
And presents!
Her very own Curious George shirt! :P
Animals to play with...
And then she wandered off and her sisters played with all of her new toys. 
On the 1st, the big girls got to go to Spring Parties at Hanna and Eva's house.  Emmy went in the morning, so I dropped her off and then I went and *gasp* got vaccinated. With the J & J vaccine.  I'm not quite to the two week mark, but so far no extra limbs, horns, or blood clots. 

Emmy came home with all kinds of fun treats, and Cecily left for Hanna's party.

The rest of us planted the garden.  Day two of the 'Monkey' shirt.
Hehe... 4 year old fashion...
Emmy was very helpful.
Well, she put the potato in the dirt... just not in the row with the other potatoes. :D
Aaaaand the hose came out and Cadence got very wet, of course.
Sunday morning I woke up feeling very wiped out (hooray immune response!), plus I was still very snotty from the cold I'd had all week.  Bob's allergies were bothering him so we did not attempt church.  I was back to normal energy levels the next morning and have felt fine since (other than the stuffy nose and sneezing- perhaps I'm developing allergies in my old age too).

Picking flowers is her favorite thing and she will sit in the violet patch and not move and just pick to her hearts content. 

Squirrels.  :)  Cecily spends most of her time upside down doing back bends and handsprings so this is a rare moment.
May the 4th be with you!  May 4th was Stars Wars Day in Emmy's class so we did Princess Leia buns and her only shirt with stars on it and star hair clips (her idea).

 Bob is a man of many hidden talents.  I was planning on putting one of Emmy's toy Titanic boats on top of a basic blue frosted cake, and I had the 'ocean' all ready to go:  "It's not going to look like a boat!?!"  *sigh*  Bob came to the rescue and carved two halves of the Titanic from the extra cake layer.

We added some icebergs and smoke stacks and here we have the stern of the poor Titanic about to slip beneath the waves to join the bow under the ocean.  Emmy: It actually lost its smokestacks before it sank.  :P
She was pleased.  We started the days menu with scrambled eggs with french fries in them, flower-ish shaped pancakes and homemade maple syrup.  (I skipped making her lunch menu because she was a school.... silly kid.)
The Bridal Wreath bush was blooming and we made crowns.
Miri was not interested, she was picking more flowees.
She wanted to open her presents before supper- the ballerina music box she always wanted!
Aunt Shelly sent a Titanic paper doll book. 
And she got to help us smoke ribs for supper.  Ribs are her favorite.  (Also on the menu: mashed potatoes, crumby noodles, and green beans.)
Life is good when you're seven!
And then I almost completely forgot about my $5 varagesale find that I had hidden away for her birthday.  Haha.  So it wasn't wrapped, and this was her face when she opened her eyes.... 
Her very own toy grill/smoker!  The coals even light up. 
  They had the jump ropes out one evening.  Even little miss "I try it." :)

 Until she found some more flowers to pick.
If we don't get a chainsaw over here soon, I think Bob is going to have cut this whole tree down by himself.  By hand.  I'm not sure why he was trusting me with the rope, but we got a few more sections cut and down without hitting windows, window wells, or gas meters.
We got to go to potluck on Saturday night at Dale and Meg's- their house is lovely and the company was lovely.  Megan and Grace watched our girls, and other than Miriel not wanting us to leave they all had a good time.   

Mothers day was quiet.  I didn't really feel like going to a large family event (I know, I know, but I'm an introvert) so we hung out at home and got Purdue's for supper. 

Ever played simultaneous games of Croquet and Bocce?  Yeah, it wasn't pretty.


 I'm sure I'm forgetting things since it's been awhile since I've blogged... 

Blessings.

No comments: