Thursday, April 14, 2022

News

So. About a month or more ago (Perrin was two weeks old) I was checking zillow, like I do regularly, and there was a new listing.... it was an acreage (more than we wanted) and it was expensive, but it was actually in our school district!  It happened to be a lovely Saturday and Matt was at our house with the boys so he and Bob went to go see it. (Our favorite realtor was out of state....) 
Logan got to come along too.  They left me at home with our five and Jack.  Ha. 
And Matt was sending me pictures like this of Bob on the phone, "cutting deals."  Turns out, the neighbors were interested in the cropland part of the acreage, but didn't want to pay for the woods too.

Bob pretty much fell in love with it and it really was a once in a lifetime opportunity- land doesn't often come on the market around here.  There was much phone calling between us, the neighbors, and realtors, and Sunday evening we put in an offer when Kerry got home and it was accepted later that night. Whew.  And I hadn't seen any of it yet.  So then Monday, we took our two week old to the bank to make sure we were good there (he hadn't even been to church yet! ha), and that evening the neighbors came over and we signed a contract with them to sell the crop land we didn't own yet.  Legal stuff and real estate is weird.  :P

Then of course you get to wait until closing and hope nothing falls through.  It got pushed back a couple of days because one lawyer was on vacation who needed to do one thing, that had to be done before they could do this other thing, etc, etc. I understand a very little bit of it.  Every day the girls would ask if we got the land yet and if they could tell people yet.  No, not quite yet, just be patient.  haha.  I can't imagine that their friends will be nearly excited as they think they will be.  :) 

Closing was at the office where my Mom works, so that was fun.  I had Perrin along, and he ended up sleeping through everything thankfully, but I'm sure she would have gladly taken care of a fussy baby for me while we signed our lives away.  haha.  

It was fun to pick the girls up from school that day- guess what!? we officially own the land!  Also, since I am weird, I told them we were going to name it but I wasn't going to tell them what it was until we went and explored.  (I mean, all of the houses in all of the best books have names, so why not?)  

This has not been the best spring for wandering in the woods- it was in the 40's and sleeting, but they were too excited to wait for a nicer day and off we went to explore. Bob cut us a path through the brush... 

Poor Perrin had to wear the girly snowsuit because that's all we had.  He was not so sure about the carrier, but ended up falling asleep and slept through most of our time out there.
So excited.
It's a bit wild and overgrown...  have I mentioned that I much prefer the wide open prairie?  haha. The things we do for love.... :P 
There is a creek, which I kind of love.  Two creeks actually, one is much bigger (and more dangerous) but this one looks like a lot of fun to play in.  Everybody look at me and say "Welcome to Firefly Woods!"
Oh, and randomly, we can't seem to get away from weird pieces of land tacked on to the main property... this quarter acre triangle was attached to ours, even though it is not even close by.  I forget what they thought the reason was, but they said they're going to make it go away.  haha.  Thank goodness.  
Poor Perrin slept through his first hike, and then, of all the indignities, got put in sister's cradle.  He looks so worried.  :)
Little Miriel was quite worn out from tromping through the woods. 

 Because we were splitting the property, and because the people that know things at the county office were on vacation, we only just closed with the neighbors today. 

So we are pretty excited. Bob is pretty much giddy.  It's nice to finally have something to pursue.  Before we were open to buying, and remodeling or adding on, or building, and there were just so many different scenarios that could have been options.  Now we can focus on saving because land costs a lot, and building costs a lot, and nothing is getting cheaper.  It will probably be awhile before we can afford to build anything, so we'll still be in a small house with a lot of little people, but now we can go hang out in our woods when we get claustrophobic.  😝

Also I've been told I'm not allowed to check zillow any more, just in case the perfect house gets listed... 

Blessings.

1 comment:

The Kaiser Family said...

Wow, so exciting, Congratulations!!