Monday, July 04, 2022

June

June was a lovely month.  But a little busier than this tired, introverted, homebody generally likes to be.  :P
We signed 4 girls up for summer reading at the library and they were so excited to read... for a few days.  Then it takes a little bit more reminding.
We started off Turkey Fest weekend with cupcakes in honor of Perrin's 111st day.  Woot woot! 
Some days I feel like my kids are growing up so much more 'worldly' than I did... and then some days Perrin is fussing and they go grab a hymn book so they can make sure and get all the words right while they sing to him... 😍 

(also when I read the word 'worldly' I hear aunt Pearline saying it in my head... 😁)
They moved merchants day to Thursday evening, which I really liked.  For one thing, the price of carnival armbands was $25 a kid this year and I had some serious sticker shock... I'm not a carnival fan anyway, and that is way too expensive!  Also, Bob could come along so I wasn't dragging five kids alone.  The girls were a little disappointed about not doing the carnival, but they said they had fun anyway.  The weather was pretty amazing that night too.

Cecily got tacos from the taco truck with me- real tacos that were really good.

These three wanted hot dogs.
Then they did the library scavenger hunt, made bows, looked at all the booths, and we ended the night with Pinky's cones. 
Perrin is a trouper and was happily along for the ride.... with our new fly swatter, while Miri drives matchbox cars on his head.
Happy 111st day, little brudder!
We went to the park Saturday for lunch.  Somebody was enjoying herself and the jazz. 
Just chilling...
We watched bed races, the shortcake eating contest, got lemon shake ups, looked at all the things.  Cecily's Orff ensemble performed.
And then we filled the stroller up with books at the book sale and headed home. 😝

Sunday afternoon was the parade.  It was a bit warmer, but not totally miserable.  It helped that I was holding Perrin under an umbrella, with his portable fan.  The older girls found friends to sit with.

Miri was content to sit on the quilt and let Bob bring her candy.  Ha.
So much candy. And somebody stuck a leaking freeze pop in the candy bag.  yay. 
When you're used to Bob working from home and not needing to think about finding a babysitter during appointments and he has to go in to the office and you all have to go get Cecily's cavity filled... Shaun The Sheep to the rescue!
Another day, another waiting room...
Then we went swimming at 'Rachel's pool' with Kelly and her girls.
They started bible school that night.  So much excitement and bouncing off the walls.  :P
Another day another waiting room... this time Cecily and Emmy had orthodontist consultations.  This waiting room is brand new and had a slippery leather couch.  And my lovely well behaved children were quietly sliding off of it onto the floor a` la Farmer Boy's horse hair sofa. 
They're both going to need braces. Woot.  And poor Emmy's are probably going to be more extensive, huzzah.
"Can you say cheese of me?" Her jammies match her dolly's.
Emmy wanted to make a dessert.  So we made oreos and ice cream from the Lyd and Pearl Cookbook. 
Emmy:It says we need butter. Me: how much? Emmy: I doesn't say. Me: oooooohhhh Grandma, I love you.  😜
When the garbage cans and indoor/outdoor rugs are getting grungy and it's nice and hot outside, we spend an afternoon cleaning them playing with the hose. And reading. 
 
Bible school crafts!!  Haha. They are always so excited. They had a good week and were not ready to be done, but I was... it's hard to get them there on time every night! 

When Grandpa died, Dad asked me to make a teddy bear from one of his shirts for Grandma.  I snagged a tie when we visited a couple of months ago, and I finally had a few minutes here and there to make two of them- one for Dad and one for Grandma.  They turned out pretty cute and I love the little ties.  :) Too bad it took me 6 months, but they were done in time for Father's day! 

Bob's cousin Katy got married on a lovely Saturday in June.  :)  In general I am not usually a fan of Saturday weddings... not only do they take the congregation/church family/body of believers out of the wedding equation and reduce it to a very few invited guests witnessing and endorsing said union, but everybody wants a lovely spring or summer wedding so it wastes a perfectly good Saturday inside, mostly spent waiting. And there's never anywhere comfortable to nurse a baby at reception venues.  But, it was a true Lutheran wedding, straight out of the book (with organ and congregational singing!), and I have a secret appreciation for many 'high church' things.  :)  More so than your average Evangelical 'lets braid a cord while my best friend sings a sappy song' wedding.  Sorry.  I really am excited for Katy and Ben! Even though I had a slightly bad attitude about wasting a beautiful day at a loud reception and nursing a baby in a dirty hotel conference center stairwell.  And it was good to see a few of Bob's cousins that we hadn't seen in a while.  (I still told the girls they better get married in church because I don't like Saturday weddings... hehe....)
Speaking of the girls, we dropped them off at the farm on the way to the wedding and came home to Emmy up in a tree and Cecily traipsing around on stilts, as one does.  😝    
Monday morning we started swimming lessons! Woot woot.  Perrin was pretty content in the stroller.

Miri was excited to go to the "cat pool!!" haha... kiddy = kitty = cat... :P 
The library had a shrinky dinks crafternoon.
I recognized this cute little girl who visits her grandparents at church- I don't know if she told Miri her name or what Miri thought she heard, but Miri talked about swimming with "Ona" all day.  Her name isn't "Ona." 😂 They had a great time playing during swimming lessons.
We went to lake day and Miri wouldn't get in. 
Cecily really thinks we need a kayak. 
Emmy was busy harvesting clay.  :P  They were pretty excited to get to swim with the other Koch girls and the Glueck girls that day. 
Bob brought home some old pictures from his desk at work and they tried to put them in order by girl.  It was hard!  They all look alike and some of them I could only figure out by the dress they were wearing.  😜😂
First Cadence and I took Perrin to his 4 month check up, then we walked across the hall and got a 6 week follow up finger x-ray.  Measuring tapes are her favorite waiting room toy, still.
Another day, another industrial carpet.  Poor kid is going to wonder why all of his pictures as a baby are in waiting rooms!
We got to go to Rachel's pool another time- this time with Betty and Kenna and Anika.  :)  The water was still a little bit cold for him, and his sisters think it's fun to splash him, which he doesn't like at all.
We spent a Saturday evening at the farm to celebrate Logan and Cadence's birthdays.  When you're 6 you get an American Girl doll.
She wanted Kit. 😄
The older kids stayed dry, Miri not so much. "I got soaked."
Climbing trees with uncle Jakey.
And Liezel! She was a little nervous.
Then they all got very dirty visiting the cows and grain bins. 😛
Sunday was the Sunday school picnic.  The weather was amazing, and I made German potato salad that I was excited to eat so I had a good attitude for once. hehe. I'm not fond of sweating. 
This girl likes picnics.
Perrin was a trouper, as usual, but he didn't love the swing.... not quite big enough yet. 
The second week of swimming lessons started off cooler- there weren't any other little kids to play with and the water was cold.
Troy and Luke are going to put in a driveway for us and do some clearing. And Bob is an engineer so his plan for staking out the area is quite... complicated. :P 
We've been counting down the days, and it was finally Cadence's birthday!!! There was great rejoicing. :P  She wanted an 'ocean cake with fish and shells and a brown sugar beach and a polar bear!' That's two different cakes kid.... so we did half and half. This half was arctic, complete with ice algae growing under the iceberg. Me:girls, did you know there was such a thing as ice algae?!  Them: (nonplussed) Yeah, it was on Octonauts.  Me: Oh.  Well. Look at that cute polar bear!
The tropical side had coral and shells and dolphins frolicking in the waves.
Miri: Oh! Cadence! Look it's your birthday cake! (at the top of her lungs, she might have been more excited than Cadence...)
Hooray for birthdays.
And presents!
She got Kit's typewriter, and now they all think they need a real typewriter. haha. 
When you have an AG box, you must take silly pictures with said box.
Such a cute little American Girl. :)
Happy birthday to you! How is she 6 already.
She wanted pizza for lunch, mac and cheese for supper and Pinky's for bedtime snack. 
And then they had their last day of swimming lessons and I breathed a sigh of relief- done with having to be somewhere everyday at a certain time! haha. Emmy thought Miri needed a swimming certificate too. 
Friday was kind of a rainy, drizzly day.  My vacuum cleaner shorted out, so I can't clean. (oh bummer) Ruth invited us to her house to visit the puppies and kittens and chickens and calf and horses, which was a welcome diversion. 

Now Cecily thinks we need a horse when we move to the woods. haha.
And also a puppy.  The list just gets longer... 😝

Then Saturday we went to Uncle Cleo's memorial service and Sunday was the annual water fight, but that will have to wait for another time. 

Blessings.



No comments: