Thursday, May 04, 2023

Spring break and Easter and April things

I am behind again... for some reason my phone doesn't want to transfer photos to my computer automatically and figuring out a way to upload them all has not been high on the priority list.
 
Spring break was not long enough for the girls.  Jack and Logan came over one day to play.   
Mr. Perrin likes outside.
The kids decided to plant pumpkin seeds they had saved from last fall.  Right by a stump, in the middle of the yard, weeks before last frost date. 😝 (They actually came up and now we have to try and save them every time it freezes... woot.)
They found a bunch of worms whilst planting too.
We spent an afternoon at the Playhouse.  It has been a few years- Cadence and Miri had no memory of it, and Cecily and Emmy are almost too old for some of the fun things.  The maker space was new for everyone.
Perrin liked the trains.
And the balls. :) 
Getting right in there with the big kids.
He was less interested in the little kid toys.
Miriel would have stayed at each of the exhibits the whole time. 
We closed the place down and nobody (except me) was quite ready to leave. 
We had a week or so of 70-80 degree weather, and I finally managed to finish the sweater I've been knitting just in time for it to be too hot to wear.  Figures.  😋
They wanted to eat a snack outside.  With lemonade. 
 
 We love sunshine.
 
Perrin loves eating. 
Glow sticks in the bath tub just for fun.
I had to teach chemistry during their break, and they really wanted to come along.  They wanted to come to class and watch my students do their lab.  They got tired of standing about halfway through.  :)

There were a couple of days with bad weather- so we nervous nellies spent some time in the basement.  Bob brought some hail down in a cup to show the girls, and Perrin ate one.  I guess it was probably clean. 
Since we were downstairs waiting for the weather to pass I got started on a new project.  I brought home a bag of my grandpa's ties when Grandma was cleaning closets.  My friend Sarah loaned me a pattern for a tie quilt, and I got them all arranged and pinned and basted. 
Bob celebrated another birthday... the girls were very excited.
Miri can't decide what season she's dressing for, and she's anti-pants right now. 
Mr. Perrin is busy and curious.
 
And he likes outside.
Miri and I tried to make homemade matzah this year.  It did not turn out well.  ha.  It was more like a flat bread than a cracker, but we didn't care.
Last supper/passover. 
They're mostly in it for the deviled eggs.
Perrin enjoys pudding.
Bob and Eric took their Sunday School class to sort clothes and the little two did pretty well playing.
The older three 'helped' but needed to be told where to put every single piece of clothing.
We dyed Easter eggs! 
Such fun. 
Easter weekend was busy.  Saturday morning I took the kids to Kray and Heather's family shower, then we met up with Bob at Matt's new house that afternoon. 
The men had already moved the furniture so we "helped" by unpacking and putting away the kitchen, exploring the back yard, and getting in the way. 
Also, checking out the farm toy collection. 😁
I'm just so proud.  "On the 18th of April in seventy-five, hardly a man is now alive that remembers that famous day and year. He said to his friend, if the British march from the town tonight, hang a lantern aloft from the belfry arch, of the North Church tower as a signal light. One if by land, two if by sea, and I on the opposite shore shall be..." I could go on, but I won't.  😂
Easter morning Easter baskets.
I have no idea what's going on, but I think I like it. 

It's too bright, I can't smile! *sigh*
They hid empty eggs for themselves after church. 
Perrin found the mulch. 
We went to the condos for supper and they got to look for more eggs.
Some of the eggs had candy in them this time. :)
Double trouble.
And as we were reading the Beatrix Potter book she got in her Easter basket that night before bed, I suddenly remembered they were all supposed to have new aprons in their baskets. Ooops.  Oh well.  Miri girl got a Beatrix Potter apron with some of her favorites on it- namely 'my puddle duck' and 'my Tiggy winkle.'
Hopefully more than one kid sized apron will mean less fights over who gets to wear it. Hopefully.

They've been begging to go swimming at the indoor pool all winter long, and every time we've had a day that it might have worked somebody was sick, or something else came up.  But finally when it was warm enough to swim outside, everyone was healthy and we went swimming!  Perrin wasn't sure about the pool at first, but by the end he was having a great time.

He was far to confident for his own good... it's so nice to have older sisters to keep you in line.  :D
Miri was making "stew," Perrin was eating dirt.
Work from home perks: listening to a meeting while supervising the littles outside on a beautiful spring day.
Fixing their toys.  Also, Perrin in overalls is adorable. 
Picnic lunch on the porch. :)
"Can I wear it like a hat?"  Um, sure! 
We cleaned out the garage one lovely Saturday.  We have far too much stuff.  The girls insisted on checking out the garage attic.
Perrin was stuck in his stroller, but he was okay as long as he could bang on the wheel barrow with a stick. 
It got cold again, and I wasn't too sad because it was an excuse to wear my new sweater!  I don't know the first thing about knitting- this was supposed to be 3/4 sleeve and have negative ease.... somehow its long sleeved and nice and loose.  😂 Oh well, I like it this way too.  😁
Emmy wanted to candy violets once they started blooming.  :)
I wanted to make a very small batch of violet jelly while they lasted.  I didn't have any pectin, but I found a recipe that used unflavored gelatin..... Jello.  I made violet Jello.  😆  I can't spread it on my toast, but it tastes good! 
I've been very slowly working on my spring cleaning list.  And slowly switching the girls clothes from winter to summer.  I had an inch or so of water in a bucket to wipe out dresser drawers on the bathroom counter so Perrin couldn't get to it.  Except Perrin is tall.  There was water all over the bathroom floor, and he was having a great time in the hallway with the rag.  *sigh* I did get to mark 'mop hallway floor' off of the list.  

 Cecily suddenly started seeing spots on Thursday, and took to her bed with what we thought was just a migraine.  But she still didn't feel well Friday, and had a low fever and a slight sore throat. Bob stayed with her, I dropped the rest of the kids off with Bob's parents, and went to potluck.  By Saturday, her throat looked angry so we went to prompt care to get swabbed... it was strep.  Woot.    So she missed church Sunday, but was well enough for school on Monday.

We got the garden tilled while flurries where flying.  So it is not yet planted, and keeping the kids out of the soft dirt has been difficult. :)

Blessings.

No comments: