Today was a crazy day in lab.... we were working with sodium hydride which is highly flammable. Some of it ended up in the solid waste can in the hood with all of the solvent and chemical waste containers. It caught on fire and blew the top off of the can. Thankfully the TA's put it out before the other solvent waste containers went up in flames.
So then I was paranoid and practically wiped down my entire hood with Isopropal alcohol just in case. :) My reaction went well, it turned lots of pretty colors! It started out green and then turned dark purple and then lavender (I thought of Heidi). After I added sodium hydride it turned orange and then it finally went back to a lovely blue-green color. The one color I didn't want to see today was light blue in my solvent trap.
We keep air out of the reaction by performing it under vacuum, which pulls the solvent off of the sample. It's hard on the vacuum pumps to have solvent running through them, so we collect it by freezing it with liquid nitrogen in a trap. Liquid nitrogen is capable of condensing oxygen (light blue) if you let air get into you vacuum lines. Well, the vacuum seal on my trap must not have been working right because when I went to clean up I saw light blue in my trap.
O man, so scary. They had to go get a blast shield. Ahhh. Our poor TA's. So then when I got home I kept hearing sirens; every time I thought that they must be headed to Noyes. One of my TA's is in one of my other classes... tomorrow... eeeshh. That'll be fun.
We had CW singing practice/ singing at our house tonight. It was fun. At one point some of us went over to 711 and duct taped Blake to his chair because he didn't come over. They were waiting with buckets of water when we came back, but I escaped the wetness. :)
Last night Washington people came to visit and go to church at the Union. It was a great time! So good to have visitors- and I was amazed at the W-ton turnout. Most of them don't branch out much, and by much I mean ever. We went to the Shaker afterwards for singing and snack and random fun after our guests left. :)
I'm going home tomorrow to get measured and to sing and for communion. It's going to be a crazy weekend. But I'm excited.
2 comments:
SOMEONE OVER AT YOUR HOUSE WILL PAY. THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY. :X
And you could go down by the bay, lay in the hay. You just may. What do ya say?
Post a Comment