Thursday, May 13, 2010

Concerning cook books

So sometimes when people ask me how married life is, they ask about how I manage working full time and cooking and cleaning and all that good stuff. Honestly, I have no idea. I'm semi organized? I like cooking and I like it when the house is clean so that's fairly motivating... :) I plan meals for the week... I dunno? But anyway. Yeah, I'm not sure how/where I learned to cook and bake. Mom says I just have "the touch," whatever that means. I helped Mom some growing up, but it was never a formal, "and today we are going to make meatloaf" kind of thing. Speaking of meatloaf. Shelly and I are bad at meatloaf. I've gotten much better at it.

I don't really use recipes much since we usually just have meat, potato, vegetable, and occasionally fruit. Bob and I both like stuff fairly plain and simple. It's probably healthier that way, and recipes usually take way more time and more ingredients than I have. This is the one cookbook that I look at regularly:



It's the best. My Grandma had a copy that is held together with masking tape. My mom has a copy. My M-I-L gave me a copy (mine's spiral bound on glossy paper- woot!). I love it because it's not full of fancy recipes with tons of obscure ingredients, it's just basic cooking with lots of instructions on techniques. The section on meat has diagrams of all the cuts, and then the best way to cook each type with a few simple recipes. It has a section on sauces, which I love, because I cannot for the life of me remember the proportions for white sauce. There are pages and pages of different kinds of frosting and glazes. I love the quick breads. And the cookies. Where else can you find old fashioned gingerbread and spritz? Definitely the most comprehensive and useful cookbook that I own. :)

And then there is the most amazing pie cookbook ever. Everyone should have one of these, and use it often. :)


This one has a pie recipe for every kind of fruit and nut you can think of, plus meat pies. And custards and cremes and chocolate pies. Seriously, it's wonderful.

I do like this cook book. She makes yummy, simple food too.


Otherwise, I have a cupboard full of unopened cook books... maybe some rainy day...
Does it make me a heathen if I rarely use the church cook books? There are a few specific recipes... but I just don't use them much. Please don't faint in shock. *grin*

What's your favorite?
Blessings.

9 comments:

Heidi said...

ooh...I'd like the Pioneer woman cookbook too! It's on my birthday gift list. :)

Mary said...

Hah...I love your small font for the church cookbook comment...the answer is NO, you're not considered a heathen! :) I've learned that just because it's in a church cookbook, it doesn't mean it's a great recipe, esp. if it's one of the bigger books. I want that pie book.

Jenny said...

Mary, I'm pretty sure Mom found the pie cookbook on Amazon or Ebay. :) And I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

Katie LeAnne said...

I don't use church cookbooks very often either because the instructions on the recipes aren't very detailed. I love my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. That pie cookbook looks awesome!

Sarah said...

Yay Betty Crocker! :)

But if you ever have extra time at a computer (not that you ever have free time at work...haha...) and want to get really hungry, really fast, you should go to this website:

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/

Mmmmmm....... She makes some amazing food, and the ones have tried are easy and very delicious...

Old Farmer said...

I agree, everyone should have a Farm Journal pie cookbook and use it often!

ginny said...

Ditto on the white sauce receipe. You can use it so many different ways and I can NEVER remember how much of this or that...one of these days I WILL get it memorized and I WILL know the proportions of milk, butter, and flower no matter what size of batch I'm making!

ginny said...

Umm...make that FLOUR! (Not flower?) Tis the season and I wish it would stop raining so I could plant some flowers....although...we did need rain. =)

Jenny said...

haha sarah, that site did make me hungry... :)