Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Red, White, and Blue

So this is carbon fiber reinforcing.  Lovely, isn't it.  *grin*  Actually, knowing that there's a 75 year warranty on this stuff and if the wall moves they have to come fix it for free is rather lovely.  And it's paintable and doesn't take up near the space as I beams.  

And this is my red cellar door.  I think it's growing on me, it doesn't seem quite as red when we're outside now.  However, that may be me just getting used to it.  What do all my wonderful readers think?  Too red?  Paint it back to a grayish?
 
You can see part of the door as it was last fall in the far right corner of this picture.... and wow, the grass and flower beds look much better this year!  Hooray for rain!!

 

There's this rock that we inherited with the house.  It used to sit in the grass right at the end of our driveway.  It was a pain to mow around.  It looked really odd just sitting there by itself by the electric pole.  So it's been on the to-do list to move it up to the landscaping for, oh, about a year now.  It got bumped to the top of the list when a certain sister of mine who will remain nameless brought her bumper down on it on a dark and stormy night.
 
It's a very heavy rock.  I missed the process of getting it into the wheel barrow.  I'm told it took three shovels, a piece of old counter top (also inherited), and lots of levering to get it in there.  I'm kind of glad I wasn't watching- I would have been very nervous. 
 
I think being married to an engineer is fantastic.  I mean, is this not an ingenious way to move a rock that is too heavy for one person to push up a slope or what?  A little redneck, but hey, it worked like a charm.  Bob lifted the wheel barrow and I very slowly pulled it forward with the mower.      
 
The peanut gallery wasn't all that impressed.

 Here it is about to be unceremoniously dumped into it's new home... so much nicer.

 Smartest thing I've done all summer:  planted a packet of wildflower seeds for Little Miss to pick.  She wants to pick every.single.flower.that.she.sees.  This is her flower patch and she can "I pickit" to her hearts content.  She filled that watering can the other day with buds.


 We didn't do much on the Fourth except go to Ron and Kary's to watch fireworks.  Somebody loved the schwide.

And the little car.

Too bad we don't like Fords.  hehe.

She didn't mind the fireworks, but she was more interested in going down the slide so she didn't really watch them much.  Bob kept an eye on her so I got to watch all the 'Purdy flowees.'

Shelly's personal shower was the next evening at Wendi-with-an-i's house.  I slaved away all day on food...  haha.  Or something, hooray for Kroger wraps and Jimmy John's!  Ellie made green tea ice cream which was different, not sure if I liked it or not. 
 So yeah, it was a good night.  Personal showers are just kind of weird by their very nature but it was good to see Shelly's friends again.  And Kacie.  Oh, Kacie. 
Otherwise, we've been laying low around here.  Cecily's been coughing and has a runny nose and Bob's got what she has plus a large dose of allergies.  I could go to five different showers this week (for four different people) but I'm only going to two.  I have my limits.  hehe. 

Blessings.

1 comment:

sarah said...

keep the red cellar doors!!