Thursday, July 10, 2014

Traded in my Mustang for a minivan...

Somehow Andrew Peterson has just the right words for what I'm feeling...

"I am a family man

I traded in my Mustang for a minivan
This is not what I was headed for when I began
This was not my plan, I am a family man"
*Mur* 

Now it comes to it, I don't feel like parting with it... my precious....

6 years (almost to the day! so random!).  74,000 miles.  Lots of life lived and adventures had in this car.  My one fun car.  Paid for in cash from my first real job. 

Every one at the dealership was all fake excited for me and I was just- lets get this over with, please.

Meh.

It didn't help that Cecily kept asking "where's mommy's car?" as we drove off the lot.  And "there's tootsie's car" about a blue grand prix parked at the grocery store. 

Anyway, now I get to drive an 09 Grand Caravan.  It's green.  It's by far the most tricked out, lowest mileage, newest vehicle I've ever driven.  And we paid cash.

But...  it has those awful, uncomfortable stow-n-go seats (trust me, I spent a week in the back of one of these in CA).  It's not a Chevy.  It barely fits in the garage.  And it's not blue.  Needs won out over wants this time.   

I found quite a few treasures and random things while cleaning out my car:
-2 cans of Deep Woods Off (I don't like bugs!)
-2 pairs of yellow Stine gloves (Dad likes his girls to be prepared,  I also have a tool kit, extra oil, funnel, jumper cables, tarp straps, flashlight, etc.)
-a dried boutonniere from Mark and Ashley's wedding, maybe?
-garage door opener for my parent's garage
-directions to Kansas City that Dad wrote out for me the first time I drove out without him.

It's bittersweet.  More bitter than sweet.  Bob has been laughing at me all evening for crying over a car...   woe is me.  *grin*

But everything I had to lose
Came back a thousand times in you
And you fill me up with love, fill me up with love
And you help me stand 'cause I am a family man

And life is good, that's something I always knew
But I just never understood
If you'd asked me then you know I'd say I never would
Settle down in a neighborhood, I never thought I could

But I don't remember anymore
Who I even was before
You filled me up with love
Filled me up with love, and you help me stand

So come on with the thunder clouds
Let the cold wind rail against us, let the rain come down
We can build a roof above us with the love we've found
We can stand our ground, so let the rain come down

Because love binds up what breaks in two
So keep my heart so close to you
And I'll fill you up with love, fill you up with love
And I'll help you stand 'cause I am a family man

I'm saving my vacation time for Disneyland
This is not what I was headed for when I began
This was not my plan, it's so much better than


Blessings.

6 comments:

Brent said...

This is helping my resolve to hold on. J's gran prix is now leaving pieces behind, most notably in the church parking lot. Grey: 'is that from our car?' But, in 14 years I can put antique plates on it! This probably isn't helping. :-)

Wendi said...

I love that song by Andrew Peterson. We may be with you...we may be getting a minivan already. :/ We will see though!

sarah said...

I love that song too! And trust me- you are NOT the only one going all boo-hoo over a car:)

Jenny said...

Brent- I kept thinking, "JNell gets to keep her car..." :) Stay strong.

They are so much easier for car seats, Wendi!

Oh Sarah. I remember your Alero!

Old Farmer said...

*snif* . . .you got me thinking about an old green pickup truck that I once knew . . .

Heidi said...

I didn't have to trade in my car, but Luke traded in his truck for our mini van. I may have cried about it. However, the joys of having a mini van with small children in car seats eventually outweighs the sadness. :)