And not in an "earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone" kind of way, more like a "some days are diamonds, some days are stones" kind of way.
Well we made it through December by the skin of our teeth. After Wyss Christmas we all came down with colds and they didn't go away and they're still kind of lingering...
The girls have been enjoying their new easy bake oven.... so far we've made tiny chocolate chip cookies, truffles, and mini "oreos".
She ate a whole springerle! Schlipf Christmas was the 28th at the farm. The girls got pink seal(?) travel pillows from the Californians... they were dubbed "sea dragons".
Nina gave the girls these cool finger print books. I was only slightly worried about ink and clothes...
New Years Eve was very low key; Bob was sick and it was Saturday night. So Cadence and I went to church and then I let them take glow sticks in the bathtub and we ate 'special' snacks. Emmy: "there's a hotdog hiding in my corn bread!" Hehe.
We put them to bed not long after their bedtime, but then Bob was still sick Sunday morning and I was coughing constantly so we didn't go to church.
She wants to be a big girl so bad! I've started some baby food and so far she is more interested than the other two were. Mostly she just likes chewing on the spoon. (I hate baby food- baby led weaning is the best - especially when you're lazy like me, so I'm reeeallly not pushing it.)
So I have a few projects on my list and since Bob was home I went to Menards alone and it was glorious. I loaded it all up by myself and now I have a new favorite hashtag. #stubbornwysswomen
Mom, I want to do a craft.
She doesn't hate her stomach quite as much as she used to. And she will happily play on the floor for a little bit now. We alternate between pure joy and complete frustration and devastation.
Potty training began on the 2nd. I was dreading it and so I kept my expectations very low. I mean, if you expect it to take months and it doesn't, awesome, and if it does, well, that's to be expected, right? Emmy's been interested on and off for the last six months or so but with a baby I have not been able to commit to the amount of completely focused time it requires.... Cadence is finally at a point where she's not nursing constantly and halfway content in between times.... we bought new My Little Pony and Minnie Mouse undies and took the plunge. So far it hasn't been terrible. She was running for the bathroom after the first week, and so far this week any and all messes have happened in the bathroom. Most amazingly, I'm not frustrated, or stressed, or annoyed with the process! I didn't use any "methods"... The things that are keeping me sane this time: towels strategically placed around the house for sopping, mop head (with rags) and Murphy's at the ready, loveseat covered with a waterproof crib mattress pad (fits perfectly!), and our rallying cry- No Puddles! Mostly I think she just likes the one on one attention. And that I let her change her underwear at random and not wear pants.
Cadence is 6 months and 17 lbs... 4 pounds behind where Emmy was at 6 months. She was good for the doctor and he discovered she has an ear infection- family first! Poor baby. I actually thought she'd been less fussy since the new year.... so asymptomatic, and our first bottle of shaky-pudding. (amoxicillin to normal families)
We've been home pretty much, except for the grocery store... the girls and I went to church on Sunday. In the evening we picked up my Mom and went to the hymn sing in Congerville. It was a nice evening, as nice an evening you can have with three little hoydens. They insisted that we had to stop at the farm for cocoa afterward, even though we had a snack at church.
I can almost reach it... I got it!
I rolled over and I don't like it! Rescue me, momma!
Cecily had cut out a shirt for an "American Doll" that we'd never gotten around to sewing. She insisted we had to sew it right now one evening. It's pretty basic, a ribbon tied tank top, and all she really did was push the pedal of the sewing machine.... and then Emmy needed to sew too. *sigh* So we, and I use that we very loosely, made a quick drawstring bag. Sometimes I just want to say 'not right now!', but they were sooo proud.
This little squishy got her six month pictures taken. She wasn't super happy to be there, so I was glad that they got one good smile. It was raining so the girls were sad they didn't get to play on the tractors.
Cecily got a STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) Barbie for Christmas. "Chemistry Barbie!" She came with some cool activities, although they are a little bit over her head yet. This is a hammock you can build for Barbie- you can turn a crank and the palm leaf fans her. In her hammock with her completely UNsafe lab outfit. Haha. Seriously... heels and a lab coat.... ??
They wanted to use their finger print books again. "I'm making doot-doots!"
A happy moment...
A not so happy moment, so big sisters took turns pushing her in the doll stroller. Also, note the lack of pants and swiffer at the ready!
Today we headed back to "teaching-school." It was a nice break... hard to get up in the morning. Kindergarten is going to be brutal. We got chicken nuggets on the way home and they wanted to eat on the picnic blanket. Whatever. Silly girls.Blessings.












1 comment:
Loved the news and snippets of your life. The training part is something I never got down to a science--probably because it is so different each time!
What an adorable 6 month picture of Cadence! You have such cute and sharp little girls. You won't regret the times you go ahead and take a few minutes (i.e. to sew). It is an effort though.
I am looking forward to seeing your projects--the supplies don't give a big clue. Enjoy the days.
Love you,
ak
Post a Comment