Don't mind me while I get all nostalgic.... but somehow a decade as "us" seems momentous.
In some ways getting engaged seems like it was ages ago, and at the same time it's gone so fast it seems like it was not 10 years already.
Awww... look at us....
I've been indulging my sentimental side and reading through old emails from friends and Bob from way back then. (Don't worry, I won't share any. hehe. Twenty-four year old me is embarrassing sometimes... but, I guess that means I've hopefully matured at least a little bit?) I'm never sure how much is appropriate to share about my experiences with the whole faith marriage/proposal system pre-Bob... my "boy-issues" as one dear friend called it (hehe. *cough* Gab *cough). I guess if you're super curious ask me in person sometime. But it's pretty safe to say that I was fast becoming pretty jaded and cynical and borderline bitter. But God was faithful. And He has been faithful. And here we are 10 years later. 10 years ago I posted the lyrics to a Caedmon's Call song:
Looking back at the road so far
The journey's left its share of scars
Mostly from leaving the narrow and straight
The journey's left its share of scars
Mostly from leaving the narrow and straight
Looking back it is clear to me that
A man is more than the sum of his deeds
And how You've made good of this mess I've made
Is a profound mystery
A man is more than the sum of his deeds
And how You've made good of this mess I've made
Is a profound mystery
Looking back You know You had to bring me through
All that I was (all that I was)
So afraid of (so afraid of)
Though I questioned the sky, now I see why
Had to walk the rocks to see the mountain view
Looking back I see the lead of love
All that I was (all that I was)
So afraid of (so afraid of)
Though I questioned the sky, now I see why
Had to walk the rocks to see the mountain view
Looking back I see the lead of love
Looking back I can finally see (I'd rather have wisdom)
How failures bring humility (than be)
Brings me to my knees (a comfortable fool)
Helps me see my need for Thee
How failures bring humility (than be)
Brings me to my knees (a comfortable fool)
Helps me see my need for Thee


4 comments:
Thanks for posting!!!! Did your mom have great things to say to encourage 24-year-old jaded, almost bitter you? I'm pretty sure my talk last night to my 21-year-old, all-her-younger-friends-in-the-young-group-got-married (who were eligible and not 12) daughter was NOT constructive. Small church, small young group, and 4/7 got married from April 2018 to January 2019! Plus several more weddings in other churches. The girls are/were 18/19.
Oh dear... now that I think about it I don't remember talking to her much about marriage unless I actively had a proposal.... I probably should have! I'm sure that just having you there to listen is more important than what you did or didn't say! When I look back, the amount of change that happened in my life from 18-25 was probably just as big and unsettling as the tumultuous middle school years. Even if my friends weren't getting married, we were all going different directions for school, work, etc. Plus your relationship with your family changes from being a kid to figuring out how to be parent-child as adults- it's a stressful hard season! I feel for her. One summer I got invited to 10 weddings. I was so completely over weddings!!
There are two things that I am really thankful I had in that season; the fact that my parents didn't get married until they were 27 and really, truly enjoyed their young group years- I didn't feel like I was an "old maid" because I wasn't even as old as my mom had been yet, and, all of the older single sisters in W-ton that were SUCH an example of contented singleness. They had so much FUN too! In the back of my mind, I always thought that if I didn't get married I could always be awesome like Vicky, and Charlotte, and Rita, and Karen, and Aunt Kary, and Lynn, and Helen, and Judy, and Jan and Pam...I'm probably forgetting someone, but I had a lot of good examples.
It's so hard to feel like life is passing you by when you're the oldest active sister in the yg (me for the two years before I got married- almost everyone was else was my sister's age or younger)... but it's so good to look back at how God worked at the right time, even though it was not necessarily on my ideal timeline. He was faithful and prepared me for every next step from school, to jobs, to marriage, to children. And I know that even if I hadn't gotten married, He would still have been faithful.
And now that I've written a book.... :P I didn't even start repenting until I was 19 so I can't even imagine being ready for marriage at 18/19! Ahh. I'm not sure I'd be excited if my 18/19 year old wanted to get married. Yikes. So far we have 3 girls... pray for us... it could be an interesting ride! :)
Good to catch up. I am praying with renewed zeal for those in the younger ages and their struggles. We all have something and it is good to love and pray. I was going to weddings and friends were marrying. I think the biggest inspiration for me was not to dwell on it and think as Jenny mentioned of the wonderful role models who had so much joy and traveled and enjoyed their work and fellowship.
Jenny, I enjoyed the blog.
love,a k
Thanks so much for your prayers and encouragement!! I think once she graduates from college in May, maybe she can sit back and enjoy things a lot more. We did have a great talk with the elder and the other young group parents last night to try and figure out what we can do to boost moral in the YG or what activities we can do to help to spiritually lift them up. (If I put my name, everyone will know who my daughter is ;)
Post a Comment