Wednesday, January 26, 2022

January happenings

Ah January.  So cold. So grey.  
Operation try and squeeze two kids into a small room has commenced... it required a fair amount of measuring and graph paper floor plans.  :P  Or maybe I just over think things.  There really isn't room for the rocking chair, but there's no where else to put it.  So far Miri refuses to sleep in her big girl bed, and the other girls think that they need to hang out in here all the time.
I am getting old.... guess what I spent Christmas/Birthday money on?  A restaurant size waffle maker!!  We all love waffles, but it takes so long to make enough for all of us and they get cold so fast.  Well, now, instead of only being able to cook 38 square inches of waffle at a time on my regular round waffle maker I can cook 144 square inches of waffle!!  So exciting, and yes, I am a nerd.  :D  Also, it's about the same size as a crockpot so it fits in my cupboards just fine. 
Emmy helped me add some fireflies to the mobile over the changing table- Miri calls them "Firebees," which I love.  And no, she's not potty trained yet.  I haven't had the energy and I keep hoping she'll just do it herself.  😏
We've gotten a little bit of snow a few times- Bob took the girls out to shovel because we needed them out of the house before they drove us completely crazy. 
I a back-ball star!  Except that's a football.  :D

Ok, so have I mentioned how 1960's houses can be so ridiculous?  Our ceilings are only 87 inches high.  7.25 feet.  (Why?????)  I would love to replace the dresser we've been using in the kitchen as our catch-all charging station-junk drawer-craft supply storage- etc. with an architectural salvage built-in from an old house like this.

They're so pretty!  And cool!  (Lets just ignore the price- ha!) However, they're also all at least 88 inches tall.  And we have stupid-short ceilings.  For some reason Bob didn't think that cutting out a section of ceiling was a good idea.  Or that vaulting the kitchen ceiling was a viable option.  Sigh.  Spoilsport. 

Since I can't replace the kitchen dresser and move it into the big girls room so two of them could share one dresser, we still needed to find a dresser for Cadence (Miri took her small one).  I've been stalking varage sale/marketplace but I had yet to find one that wasn't too big for the room.  I looked for sharable dressers too, but they were all really big and would take up more floor space than three medium size dressers.... hurrah for more graph paper and floor plans. 

So I took Cadence on an adventure to Bushart's because they always have a large amount of antique and used furniture for sale.  This was a cool bedroom set that we didn't get- There's a headboard, bookcase, mirrored dresser, chest of drawers, and desk in there that all look like dollhouses/buildings.  It's not in great shape, sadly.  

Cadence picked this one.  :)  It's in decent shape, although it's missing it's mirror, and it cleaned up nicely. 

Emmy helped her move all her clothes and "decorate" haha.

Bob was hinting around that he wanted cookies and I didn't feel like baking... so I told the girls that it was their job to make cookie bars.  I mean, they can read a recipe right?  Haha.  Other than not quite understanding what "three over four" meant, and one of them not understanding the difference between tablespoons and teaspoons (domestic goddess Emmy caught that one in time!) they did pretty good and it was not a disaster.  I feel like I have arrived.... :D 


We had potluck a few days before Sharon's 40th birthday. :D  So Janelle decorated and we all wore black and she got some interesting gifts.  The inflatable walker was great.  Bob and I got her some good old fashioned scented pink after-bath powder, complete with puff. :P 
'Oh, that's Miriel playing houses on-a piano.' 
Seriously guys, SO. MANY. WAFFLES.  It makes me almost giddy.  :D 
Can you put this a-gether Daddy, Daddy? 

 Other than the funeral in the middle of the month, and school, and doctor appointments every week, it's been a pretty quiet month.  It's going faster than I'd like; I finally feel like I'm mostly over Covid exhaustion and now I'm just normal late pregnancy tired. I still have a fair amount of organizing/purging of closets I'd like to get done before baby, and some sewing projects to finish before I have no time.    Also, the baby still doesn't have a name yet...... :P  That bothers some people *cough* Michelle *cough.* :P
Blessings.

No comments: