Monday, August 30, 2010

The Road Goes Ever On

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

So we went to Kansas City for the weekend. It was a blessing.

We left Friday after work so it was after 11 when we got to Brett and Laura's. I drove some on the way there... Bob just got a power converter and he was busy 'modding' on my lappy... but then I got tired and made him drive the rest of the way. I love the open road, it makes me happy. And there is only about nine miles of two lane left on 36! Happy, happy day! We haven't been to KC in over a year so that was a very pleasant surprise.

Saturday morning we slept in. It was so nice and quiet and cool.... so great. Laura, Carol, Dianne, and Joni went shopping instead of being lazy like me... grin. We ate brunch and then went to a park with Brett and Bryce and threw frisbees and swung on the swings. Bryce wanted "underdoggies"... yeah, I'm always afraid the kid's going to kick me in the head or something so my attempts were a little half-hearted. And then we all went back to B and L's house and played a game until it was time for church.

They had jackstack for supper and it was amazing as always. The ordination service for Randy was good- the second one I've been to this year, which is kind of weird. It was good to see Karen and Randy and the boys. And all their kids. Laura told us a hilarious story later that night about Kami's underwear falling in the toilet somehow... o my... it seems there will be a whole new generation of funny k-berger stories!

It's so nice that church starts later out there... grin. Church was really full Sunday. Afterwards, we stopped at Karen's to change and then left for home. It took us just over 6 hours (woot woot!). I was freaking out for a little bit because my car was acting really funny and I was pretty sure we were going to end up stranded in Missouri (since there were only four other IL cars going back too...) but it was fine after we stopped for gas and let it sit for a minute. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Anyway, so it was 10ish when we got back and our house was hot. *sigh* And I had to make lunches and unpack. Ugh. It was late before it was cool enough to sleep, and I didn't sleep super soundly. I did not want to get up this morning, but I've survived so far today!

Blessings.

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let other follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

1 comment:

Karen said...

We loved having you in kc. We missed you Fri. night but you got to sleep later. Hopefully we can visit more next time:)