Friday, August 29, 2014

Eleventy-one

So... catch up.  *grin*  We've been getting back to normal around here.  And working on canning and freezing vegetables.
Last year we didn't eat all of the onions we grew before they started to rot... I don't think I dried them right... anyway, according to the Ball Blue Book you can freeze onions.  So I donned my lab goggles and peeled and blanched onions.  And the whole house smelled like onions.  And I had goggle lines.  woot.
Oooh, what is this, mama, it's very interesting...  
Since none of us like to go outside in the humidity, she's been spending lots of time coloring. 
The girls and I stopped in at Restmor to visit Beulah one afternoon.  She hadn't met Emmy yet, so that was fun. 
I of course, decided that the hottest day outside would be a great day to start doing tomatoes... so it was hot inside as well.  I've been 'measuring' the amount of produce I've picked in terms of Safegaurd buckets... the hog farmers who read this should just not think about it... 

She's dancing.  hehe.  Or just waving her arms. 
Thursday I got to eat out with Amy and Katie- there was an email mix-up so the other girls didn't make it.  We still had fun! 

Sunday was Emmy's Eleventy-first day.  We celebrated Hobbit style- with a meat pie and seed cakes for supper.  They looked like what I imagine when foodies call things "rustic."  They were also more scone-like than cake-like, and the caraway seeds added a different flavor... but I liked them.  The meat pie was from the Farm Journal Pie Cookbook, so of course it was good.   
Such a smiley baby.  And so squeeshy. 
O man, she needs to start sleeping again soon... the last two nights have been slightly better... but I keep thinking, 'I picked a bad week to quit caffeine...'  Ha!  I have no plans to do that any time soon.

So I found this adorable little U of I cheerleader outfit at a consignment store this week.  And Cecily has one that Sharon found a while ago....  *grin*  Hail to the orange...
We dug potatoes that night- 1 five gallon bucket and 1 safeguard bucket full.  I may attempt freezing them too, since I haven't had much luck storing them either.  Then I let little miss swim in her "il-noy shirt."  In the dark. 

She cracks me up sometimes...  I told her we were making spaghetti sauce for "winter."  So a little while later I hear "this is my sgetti's, not Winter's."  And I've been finding clothes for her for this fall and winter...  "This is my dress, not Winter's dress.  It's not hers."  *grin*  Doesn't help that sometimes we swim at Summer's house. 

We went to the farm this afternoon and got some more tomatoes.  Woot woot.  Cecily was pretty excited to see Gus.  And Grandma and Grandpa. 

Otherwise, it's been quiet, which we love.
Blessings.

No comments: