Saturday, December 19, 2015

Sewing projects

So I got the sewing bug this fall... and when it hits I must go with it because when it's over there's no finishing things...
From the top:  Quilt squares for a bedspread for Emmy when she moves to a regular bed.  I discovered strip piecing for log cabin squares and it's rocking my world!  They're not perfect- Grandma Koch's old sheets are not exactly like sewing with nice stable quilters cotton, but they're cute.  And they'll match Cecily's. 

I made two skirts!  With pockets and a zipper and a real waistband!  The pink was my "muslin" for the green... but I think I like the way it fits better, somehow.  The pockets have contrasting lining, which I love. 
The green is a back view, made with the same pattern but with belt loops on it.  Both skirts have a cool back yoke and flat felled seams (double top stitched like denim).  I think they turned out pretty well, and no one has asked me if I made them which I consider a compliment. 

I said I was not going to stress myself out and sew the girls Christmas dresses this year.  So instead I fell in love with this dress at woodensoldier.com and made them Winter dresses.  Fairly close copy and much cheaper.  They are knit fabric...  That was a first and an experience.  I also modified a t-shirt pattern so yeah.  About halfway through I was kicking myself for not just making them out of something woven.  But, now I know how to sew knits without a serger, and use stretch thread, and double needles.  Woot woot. 

The girls got two little peasant dresses with hobbit aprons out of the deal... although they won't wear them.  *sigh* 

They love their capes!  I like to see them in their capes. 

Baby Jack has no hope for a normal life in our family.  He will be indoctrinated into our nerdy ways... starting with his Middle Earth tag blanket.  He will know the way to Mordor.  And Mirkwood.  And the last Homely House. 

I made a basket liner with handles so we can keep our library books in there and then when it's time to return them the liner becomes our book bag.  It's been very handy. 

Why am I boring you with all this? 
  1. So Dad can feel vindicated for making me take sewing in 4H.
  2. So Mom can feel like all the hours and tears at the sewing machine for 4H were worth it.
  3. So Grandma can be proud.... :) 
  4. So someday I can look back and be amazed at all the stuff I got done before I had three kids.
I made it through everybody-finds-out Sunday.  Ugh.  I know people mean well, but seriously.  I feel awful all day every day.  And maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'm not rejoicing yet.... I know way too many people who have lost babies after 20 weeks....30 weeks...practically 40 weeks... so it feels really awkward to be congratulated... I mean, I didn't put anything on our Christmas card because, would we have a funeral at this point?  No, so I'm not putting it on the card.  Sorry if that's morbid, but I haven't felt well in 7 weeks and I probably have at least 3 more of constant nausea so I'm losing my grip on being pleasant.  So much for enjoying Thanksgiving, and my Birthday, and Christmas... (you can pray for my poor family.)

But then there are the angels who offer babysitting, and food, and show up with supper. I just want to hug them. And it makes the months of awkward/intrusive comments and the months of awkward/inappropriate nursing comments seem almost bearable.  Almost.  Oh and it got me out of jury duty, so there's that.

woot.
Blessings.

3 comments:

Daniel & Wendi said...

Your subtle comments crack me up. :)

Grant and Hannah Herrmann said...

this is great - exactly how I sew too. :) it hits - I sew - and do nothing else - for several days until it's quite obviously negatively affecting the family and then I stop. loved seeing your projects.

Anonymous said...

I am just catching up on blogs. I see the news and am thankful that i can be excited even though you are in the throes of nauseousville. I didn't know at Christmas. You must look great!!!
I am a proud aunt!! You are doing amazing projects. When it hit me, I was happy to finish one! I miss those times. Maybe i will get motivated and stay home and do a project someday again. If I stay home tomorrow (bad weather), I will enjoy Ned and try to be motivate and not overwhelmed by the aftermath of a blessed Christmas with the whole family getting to come:).
Love, ak