Monday, May 09, 2016

May Day! May Day!

Sorry.  It still makes me laugh.
I got the painting done!  It took a few late nights, but the trim is up, the new baseboard is on, and it's all been painted.... why I seem to think it's a good idea to do trim work in the 3rd trimester (especially in a small bathroom) is beyond me... but it's done and it doesn't look too bad, if you don't look closely.  I'm waiting on a frame for a very odd sized print I got for Christmas to hang over the hooks.  I really never put anything on the walls in here so it will be the first time it's been 'decorated' since we've moved in. 
We spent May day in Washington because we haven't been there on a regular Sunday in a very long time.  Cecily went right to Sunday school with Aunt Shelly without a backward glance.  She was excited to go in 'Summer's class.'  Emmy did great all morning, and we apparently psyched some people out because Mom and Lena and I were all sitting in a row and then Shelly only had a few students so her co-teacher taught and she joined us... Jake wasn't even there that Sunday.  hehe.

Little Emmy loves birds... so I made her a bird cage cake.  I found instructions online, but I was not paying attention to size and amounts because we ended up with a ridiculous amount of cake.  I used three whole cake mixes.  Eeesh.  We have so much cake.  And then I barely had enough fondant and frosting to cover it.  Fondant is not my friend anyway; I couldn't figure out how to get it to cover the whole thing nicely so it sagged and there are holes that are strategically covered by birds and piping.  At least it looked cute from a distance!   
O well, I won't be quitting my day job to open a bakery.  Emmy loved it, so that's all that matters!  "Cake!  Birdy! Happy To-day Emmy!"   My literal Cecily was very concerned that there were no cross bars to keep the birds in, ha!
 She was excited.  And somehow she's 2 years old!  We had chicken nuggets and "mac-ee-cheese" for supper, and of course cake.
 Then she got to open "pez-ants."  With a backpack on.  Because she's two.
 "NO Sheshadee!  Mine! Pez-ants!" 
 She got a bird book. 
 And a bike!  "Red Bike!  Emmy's Bike!"
 The next day she had a doctor appointment, refused to take a nap, "morning!," and we watched Dale and Meg's three girls for the evening.  So we had five little girls for supper... we made them eat cake.  They played outside for a long time, which was good for my ears... lots of girls can be so loud and shrill.  Ha. 
Saturday evening we went to the farm for Emmy's birthday party.  In her pig tails.  She likes to skip down the hallway. 
I forgot to get a picture, but grandma made her a bunny cake.  "Bunny wabbit!"  There was some difficulty in cutting it... "I"m butchering this rabbit!"  "Well, you started on the wrong end..." 
Then a few more "pez-ants."  Binoculars. 
 "Elsha! Chap-ick!"  Her very own frozen chapstick... woohoo...
 "Mine. Purse.  Shopping."
We spent Mother's Day evening with the Beutels.  The kids played at the grade school after supper.  Cecily was off playing kick ball, Emmy was sliding.   
And then the bigger kids were all marching off in a line to go back to Roger and JoAnn's and Emmy took off after them, tripped on a storm drain, and hit her forehead.  *sigh*  It puffed out immediately, thankfully.  Poor little girl.  I was going to take her to get pictures this week...  
Decorating the cake did a number on my wrists... I get mild carpal tunnel when I'm pregnant, probably because of all the pipetting I used to do... I had a couple of really rough nights- waking up several times with both arms sounds asleep, tingling, and aching.  So I got a wrist brace!  And my hands didn't go numb all night!  Instead I woke up with leg cramps!  Woot!  Ugh.  So yeah, besides the carpal tunnel, leg cramps, horrifying nightmares (yay Crime and Punishment!), random back pain on one side that is probably not a kidney infection, I'm feeling great.  Bleah.  And that is how I feel about that.     
Blessings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) Great times (at least to read about;). Is that the hall at the farm? No carpet?
love, ak