The calendar this week was empty... but there was much going on.
The sink got fixed on Wednesday. I'm kind of glad the girls are a little bit nosy when there are people working at our house because it gives me a reason to watch too. Ha. They probably all think I'm weird, but I grew up watching Grandpa and Dad fix things on the farm and not only is it fascinating, if it breaks again I want to know how to attempt to fix it! Surprisingly enough (considering all the sewer issues we had on the farm) I know very little about plumbing. Next time the sink drain line is plugged I will know to run a hose up to the roof and try and move the clog with water down the vent pipe. Haha. We were outside watching Tim up on the roof- "Is he going to fall down? Why is he up there?"..."guy, fall down??" He did not fall off our roof, thankfully, and the drain is clear again.
Grandpa Beutel recently moved to Restmor and Bob was in charge of finding him a laptop and getting it set up so he can keep up with us all online. The girls were very interested in "Gampa Bye-tel comp- ooter!"
So I usually do the mulching because I'm home and I don't have allergies. This year, however, I'm really not physically up for it... my back hurts and I can't do much manual labor for any length of time. And I don't keep track of what average pollen counts are, but poor Bob is going through a lot of Claritin and Dayquil... So we had Slager's do the mulching for us. They even weeded for me!
The girls were still sleeping when they arrived, and they were halfway through breakfast when they discovered a nest of baby bunnies outside in my flower bed! Cecily dressed herself (the bike shorts are supposed to be for UNDER her skirts..), Emmy is still in pajamas and neither of their hair is combed. But bunnies! Rustin caught four in a bucket, and he saw a fifth that escaped.
Cecily was brave enough to pick them up.
Emmy was a little more hesitant at first.
"Bunny Wabbit!"
O the poor bunnies. This video makes me laugh so much. I watch it over and over. Note Emmy pretty much throwing the poor bunny at the end.
Then they decided to get their shovels and help.
"I dirting, mama."
"Emmy workin hard!"
Fresh mulch always looks so nice.
Too bad it doesn't last... I'm afraid the rain is going to sprout a whole bunch of maple seeds. Woot.
Anyway, baby bunnies 1-4 went away with the Slager crew. I found bunnies 5 and 6 later that afternoon in the same plant and the girls were just as enthralled. Cecily was pretty sure we needed to keep one for a pet for her. Bob and I both said No Way. Poor kid. I hear 5 and 6 were adopted by Grace and Eden...
Mama bunny overdosed on copper bb's later that evening...
I got a package! The girls got a "say-boat."
Saturday was a lovely day. Ooo... look at my new toy! It came in the box. If it lasts as long as the one at the farm it will be well worth the money...
The girls played in their boat for quite a while.
"Cheese!"
And rode their bikes.
"I have fun. Riding bikes, mama!"
I was lazy and watched them from a chair... until she stole it.
And then Daddy cut holes in the boat so it could be a house.
While the girls were inside for naps I decided to be crazy and overdo it and trim the honeysuckle vines. I think they are probably supposed to be cut back earlier in the year, but it just didn't happen. I'm not sure how to figure out the line between staying active and doing too much... but I was pretty wiped out, not to mention hot and sweaty. Ick. And then we saw baby bunny #7 but it escaped to the neighbors yard because the girls were watching wide eyed out the window.
Sunday afternoon we saw bunny #7 again and he was the unfortunate victim of blunt force trauma. They are cute, but. They've been eating my plants. Specifically some of the new perennials that I splurged on a few weeks ago. Quite often I go for the cheaper, smaller pots in hopes that they will grow and thrive and fill right in. However, I am a very laissez faire gardener and that never seems to happen so I thought I'd try a bigger pot so it would have a better chance. Yeah.... they nibbled it down so small...
Then Cecily saw bunny #8 hopping across the yard, but he also escaped through the fence. Stay tuned.
Nathan and Bob wanted to get together to work on their latest board game (it was a grown up play date- ha!). He and Shelly came for supper tonight. Good times. I think I managed to shock Shells though... hehe.... Cecily told her there is a baby in my uterus.... never too early to use the correct terms, right? Plus food goes in the "tummy" and that term just annoys me.
Poor girls... when your mom is a chemist and your dad is an electrical engineer, there really isn't much hope for being normal. Cecily has heard all about how digestion works (her take away: food turns into poop and drinks turn into pee. sigh), how the earth and the sun are situated in space and how night and day works on opposite sides of the globe (we are in day, and matt is in night!), and electricity (Bob told her that besides being in wires, we have a little bit of electricity in our muscles to help us move)... of course it all gets a little bit garbled and lost in translation since she is only 4. Ha. The other day she was talking about something random and the conversation turned to people getting sick and dying... her mind is all over the place. Anyway, I laughed so hard and wrote it down when she said, "She couldn't move her arms? Her electricity was gone?"
Anyway. Blessings.










3 comments:
One of the 'pets' has died and I believe the other will follow shortly!
What is that thing? A garden cultivator? It looks like something I could use!
Mary
It's a rotary cultivator... the one at the farm is referred to as the "ro-ho" which is a brand from the 50's, so who knows how old it actually is. :) This one is amish made, and I had to order it online after much googling. :)
Post a Comment