Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sunbeams, Rainbows and Kittens

so I'm not going to write about anything in the title... except maybe kittens. We have three cute kittens. Actually, this post is all about blood and death and varmints. So if you are squeamish... maybe you better check this cool site out. http://wordle.net/

I think the opossum count is seven now. And still no skunk. Seven cute little opossi with huge scary looking teeth and nasty rat tails. ick. So I'm getting pretty good at prodding opossums out of the trap ('I'm the best there's ever been'). I'm pretty proud of my skills. Although I am not at all partial to what happens after they are prodded out of the trap. That is Matt and Jakey's job. They have a lot more power in their swing than I do. And they are much more accurate with shovels and axes and pitchforks.

Last week a cat got into the chickens and killed 16 of them. Kind of an awful sight... carcasses every where and the surviving hens all huddled in the corner. The cat might not have lived very long after that.

After supper I was painting in the old chicken house and Matt just had to come show me what they are baiting the trap with tonight- a pigeon whose untimely demise was quite recent. It had also been decapitated. I'm not sure why, maybe skunks like their squab prepared like that?

On a happier note, my flowers are growing! And my rose bush has roses. And I'm going to Kansas this weekend. Woot! And while mom and Dad were gone shelly and I called our plumber friend and he came and fixed the sink that has been leaking for two years and totally surprised M and D. It was amazing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Quite a post.
I like the cheery last paragraph. :)
Flowers are great, aren't they? Except for my calla lilly; it died after being in my possession for like 3 weeks. :(

Jenny said...

aww that's sad... calla lillies are so pretty!