Friday, March 26, 2010

These, I, Singing in Spring

THESE, I, singing in spring, collect for lovers,
(For who but I should understand lovers, and all their sorrow and joy?
And who but I should be the poet of comrades?)
Collecting, I traverse the garden, the world—but soon I pass the gates,
Now along the pond-side—now wading in a little, fearing not the wet,
Now by the post-and-rail fences, where the old stones thrown there, pick’d from the fields,
have accumulated,
(Wild-flowers and vines and weeds come up through the stones, and partly cover them—
Beyond these I pass,)
Far, far in the forest, before I think where I go,
Solitary, smelling the earthy smell, stopping now and then in the silence,
-Walt Whitman

I love spring. I have a bunch of bulbs peeking up through the dirt... and then the rabbits eat the leaves. Hopefully at least a few of them will bloom!

I love wandering around town (now that it's warmer) and trying to classify all the different houses by architectural style. I'm not very good at it, but it's fun to try.

My Dad dropped off a 3x5 box for me to grow things in. Hooray! I'm quite excited, although I will definitely have to invest in some chicken wire (or a shotgun) to protect my plants from rabbits.

Dang came for supper last night. Otherwise it's been pretty quiet, which I love. Next week is going to be busy again; hooray for holidays.

Blessings.

3 comments:

erin said...

Jenny,

That poem reminds me a little too much of ACS...uggh.

Jenny said...

haha... yeah... I liked ACS. And I like it even more now than I did then... not the work, but all the stuff we learned about. :)

Karen Kellenberger said...

Who is dang?
I feel a little "uncultured" when I read your posts. I bought a big book of Emily's works and haven't had time to read. Maybe I will take it to Phoenix next week. but then I have to carry it!