Wednesday, July 07, 2010

The Fourth, Up North

We decided to take advantage of our coinciding three day weekends (woot woot) and go visit Rustin and Sharon and Grace in Minnesota. It was a really fun weekend... I'm so glad we went.

We left work early on Friday and drove... and drove... and drove... haha. Actually, it wasn't too bad and we got there in about 10 hours. And listened to Knife of Dreams the whole way up. Good times.

Saturday morning we got up fairly early and went to the Hancock Firehouse for the pancake and sausage breakfast. They showed us around 'the store' and I got a post office picture. And some funny looks. Imagine that. :)
Grace enjoying her pancakes-
Rustin let us try out his new scooter ("motorcycle," according to Grace)... well... I took it around the garage, Bob took it around town. We had pork sandwiches from Wurstmacher for lunch and then we watched the Fourth of July parade. It was great, although a little hot and sweaty. I didn't even think about sunscreen so I have some lovely burn lines. I liked the marching band a lot... and the community band... and all the fire trucks... hooray for Americana!
Grace had a big bucket for candy and it mostly got filled!
She wasn't impressed by the fire trucks and wouldn't go get the candy they threw because she was scared of the sirens.
After the parade we all went with Sharon to pick up the barricades around town, and then we went back to their house and cooled off. We watched fireworks that night... Grace spent most of the "happy birthday america celebration" in the car under her blanket, silly girl. :)
Not a fan of loud noises....

Church on Sunday was quite enjoyable. I like small churches, and I've never been to Morris North (or Morris) before, so that was cool. They have way better lunches... *grin* I met lots of people that are distant relatives and/or knew my parents, aunts, and uncles. We went to Rustin's parent's for supper and pie and spent the rest of the evening chilling.

Monday morning we left for home, after a really good breakfast. I kind of wanted to stop in Minneapolis and introduce Bob to IKEA; he was nice enough to oblige. That store is so cool. I got a pair of planters, and then Bob really wanted to get a Bonsai tree, so we did. Hopefully I don't kill it; I don't really know anything about Bonsai trees. We ate lunch at the IKEA Cafe and then drove and drove some more. So, in the interest of conserving electricity and all that good stuff, both of our air conditioners were off while we were gone. When we got back it was like walking into an oven... I don't think it's ever been that bad after a trip before. So HOT. It took a looong time for the house to cool down enough to even think about sleeping. I'm still maybe a little bit tired after 12 hours traveling and then not being able to sleep....

Blessings.

No comments: