Monday, July 19, 2010

Preservation, Aquatics, and Les Mizerables

So I feel like my life revolves around vegetables right now. Friday I picked more beans, and then spent the evening blanching them (with my very own blancher...pasta pot.... thingy... it was hard to find apparently, I got it for Christmas). I should have more than plenty in the freezer now... hooray!

Saturday morning I went to get my next block for quilt club, cleaned, went swimming at Roy's with my family, and then did corn for the rest of the day. Mom and Dad's corn didn't do much this year and the coons took out half of it, so they got four bushels from a neighbor. Well, four feed sacks full. I'm probably the only person that associates the smell of feed with fresh sweet corn. So we cleaned corn and cleaned corn and cleaned some more corn and then more.... I stink at cutting it off the cob, Mom did that. And we had the obligatory conversation about how the big washtubs that we were using were what my great-grandma gave her kids baths in.

It was after six when we got done so I took my share home to cook it there... Bob and Jakey were just getting done fixing supper for me when I got home (thank goodness for frozen pizza!). Ok, it maybe wasn't just for me. :) And then it was after ten when I finally got everything cooked, cooled, and bagged. I went straight to bed. After a shower because Bob said I smelled like corn and lake water. :) It was hard to get up Sunday morning.

One of Bob's myriad of second (third? I dunno) cousins is in Les Miz this summer, so we went to see it with Kevin, Dale and Meg, and Shelly. Shelly came over for supper before we went and got to experience indian food. She walked in the door and said, "it smells weird in here." Whatever, it tasted good. Les Miz was excellent. Corn Stock is in a big tent at Bradley park so it was a little bit warm, but I barely noticed. I had a very hard time not singing along. Such a good musical... I always tear up at least once, and always at a different part of the story. Now I really should finish reading the book!

Blessings.

No comments: