Monday, October 21, 2013

The Cop

So today marks seven weeks of nausea.  I am so tired of being sick.  And I do not enjoy this.  Plus, I came down with a cold this weekend and can't breath (or sleep) very well.  Woot. 

Anyway, so you remember a couple of weeks ago I had a small run in with a cop?  Yeah, now I can tell you that whole story. 

I had left Nathan and Michelle's after singing practice...  to get back home, I turn west on a pretty nice, wide, quiet, street in Eureka.  The speed limit is still 25 there, though people go way faster because it goes out of town to the east.  Plus it's right by the college and you know what college kids are like.  *grin*  Anyway, it was dark, and there was what looked like a routine traffic stop on the other side of the road, so I slowed down a little bit, but there wasn't any other traffic and they had plenty of room.  As soon as I drove past, I saw somebody sprint across the road and get in another car.  And turn on the lovely flashing lights....

You have to remember that I have zero control of my emotions right now- the hormones rule (which I hate, but there's nothing I can do about it). I started shaking, and didn't stop.  So I pulled over, and the cop comes up and started yelling at me- "do you know how fast you were going? didn't you see us? we're trying to help a stranded motorist and you came flying by and didn't even slow down!"  Eesh.  Ok, so I probably was going more than 25, but not "flying"- my car doesn't have that much get up and go, especially since I had just turned a corner.   And he didn't have a radar gun, and there was no indication from them that it was anything other than a traffic stop (no extra lights, no reflective vests, cones, etc).  Anyway, I started crying.  I am not a crier.  And certainly not for a traffic stop with dubious cause. 

So the poor cop continues his lecture about how they just want to get home safe, why would you go so fast with a little one in the back, (seriously, I was going maybe 30) how he should have ticketed the guy who drove past right before me (*cough* Jake) and I'm sitting there crying like an idiot.  And not just a few tears, it was a full on, hormonally induced, shoulders shaking, ugly cry.  He finally stopped and asked if I was ok, and if I had any conditions that I was going to black out on him.  Haha.  O man.  And all I could say was "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" (both for speeding and for not being able to stop crying).  So he ended up writing me a warning.  Which is all he really could do, I didn't do anything wrong and he didn't have a radar gun... 

And then I cried most of the way home.  Seriously.  My ISTJ, usually very rational, non-emotional self hates what pregnancy hormones do to me.  I had calmed down by the time I got home enough to laugh at myself when I recounted my tale of woe to Bob.  hehe.  And I'm rather embarrassed and hope I never meet that cop again.  I mean, who ugly cries because they got pulled over for going 5 over? 

Anyway, that's the story.  We've had a pretty quiet week here. 
Blessings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) Had to laugh. It gives you a little idea of how the upper middle age years can go:)
At least he hadn't clocked you and had to give a warning. I have not been so lucky in the past!

Luke said...

Hey, those hormones got you out of a ticket. Plus, hopefully, made a cop reflect on his overly strong reaction. You should be thankful for them ;-)
Our at least hate them less. :-)

Katie LeAnne said...

Congratulations! I wondered too when you wrote on your last post that you had a doctor's appt. where they drew your blood. :)