Tuesday, September 27, 2005

In which I wax longwinded...



I miss Lindy's. I love that place. I miss my bosses, the checkers, the deli boys, the Lindsley's, the guys in the back, seeing Lindy in the morning, the customers, everything.
I love walking in the back door, running into Jim and Bob (the owners), sliding my time card, and just being privy to the total mess and chaos that is the backroom. It always amazes me how awesome the front looks, compared to the back.

I was afraid I would forget how to check since it's been two months since I quit, but I remembered pretty quickly. I still remember most of the numbers for the different kinds of produce. (Ask me! Although it's kind of pathetic how many I know.) My fingers just typed them in automatically. I got to work with some "old people," who were there when I still worked there. I miss Collin's stories, and Laura's books. I miss looking across the store to check the clock in the Deli, and seeing Ryan and Kyle waving like idiots until I waved back.

I miss how customers would tell me anything. Even if I didn't want to know it. :) About their days, their jobs, their dogs, their children, and their grandchildren. The scores of the Illini games. And the score to every Washington High School game.

Saturday, a little old lady came through and bought two frozen pies. The first thing she said to me was, "Hon, if you ever get married you need to buy this brand of pie, because they are soo good your husband will think you are the best cook ever!" It was so cute, and I didn't have the heart to tell her I like my own pie better than frozen pie.

And all the men that came in. Invariably they were pretty clueless, but they were all very nice- a lot less picky than some of the women. :) And they all tried to be so macho and wouldn't let anybody carry their groceries for them. One of the older men would always tell me "maybe next year" when I asked if he would like some help.

I loved all the cute little kids that came in. The little boy on Saturday who bought marshmallows, chocolate and fruit snacks, and was bouncing off the walls and telling everybody about the wiener roast he was having that night. The little girl in red cowboy boots that liked my skirt. The boy that randomly asked me when my birthday was, only to find out ours are about a week apart. Sarah, who is 5 who knows all of the checkers on a first name basis.

Most of all, I loved the chance it gave me to be a witness. Most of the girls and guys I worked with went to church very rarely. They were too busy with High school and having fun to really give anything spiritual a thought. I was different. They asked me questions about a lot of stuff. Although they never did understand why I didn't party on the weekends. :) And if I had a dollar for every customer who asked me "So where do you live?" meaning, where do you go to church, I would be rich.
I love how I really got to know the community. Jerry, the owner of Katy's Cafe came in every night around closing time. Brian Bell barbequed every Saturday, Mrs. Kimpling came in for fruit dip.

Well.

I miss my job. :)

So anyway, this is really long! I also went to the women's seminar in Washington on Saturday, which was a blessing. It was a good weekend, a good start to a crazy week.


One thing I dont' miss is being called "Hon" by everyone over 30. Or at all by anyone. Drives me crazy. :)

6 comments:

Luke said...

Wow hon! Congrats on your longest post ever! I liked your perspectives. You should write a letter to the editor of the Washington paper and tell them how awesome Lindy's is. :)

megs said...

i agree w/ luke. you could be some of the best adverstisment lindy's has EVER had!!

Luke said...

I think you should write a post about what you and Gab are going to do on you 21st birthday!! :)

Jenny said...

Grr. I hate being called Hon. :P

um...yeah....about my birthday, it's top secret. :) You can hear about it afterwards.

And would you like paper or plastic tonight sir?

Luke said...

Yeah Hon, I know how it is.

Um, Plastic. I never trust the handles on paper bags.

What's the date today? *as I write check*

Here ya go hon. You have a good day now ya hear?

taryn said...

Jenny, I love reading your posts. Your writing is so interesting, it made me feel like I was AT Lindy's as I read all that. I can see why you miss it... awww...

Well I was going to call you "Hon" but it looks like someone else already annoyed you enough with that. ;-)

T