Wednesday, March 31, 2010

a tale of two potato dishes

Monday was the first day of passover, so we had lamb just for fun. It has a very different taste. The little lamb chops are super cute though. :) Yes, I'm aware that I'm weird. Apparently Kroger doesn't have a large Jewish clientele because they don't carry matzo bread; we had kosher crackers instead. (I thought they were ok tasting, Bob thought they were gross) I also bought some leeks because I remember the Israelites always complaining about not having melons and leeks and figs and fleshpots and things like they did in Egypt, and Bob's allergic to melon and I have no idea what a fleshpot is. So I found a recipe for potato leek casserole that involved butter and cooking wine and milk and it turned out mostly just strange. It didn't taste bad, it just didn't set up and was really milky and not very casserole like. At least it all smelled really good while it was cooking.... different though it all was.

So then I had to figure out what to do with the rest of the leeks... and I was supposed to take potatoes to rotating potluck... hm.... I found another casserole recipe. It turned out much better, maybe because it had heavy cream and cheddar cheese in it and no wine. :) Potluck was a great time. It's so fun to just sit and listen.

Halfway through I got a bad headache, which I hate. So yeah, the rest of my night was not so much fun... but I feel much better today. Stinking Schlipf genes that are all of the sudden manifesting themselves. This makes two migraines in the last year- eesh. Ok, I know I shouldn't complain, I am very thankful that I don't get them much at all...

Bob's birthday is tomorrow. Woot!

4 comments:

Katie R said...

I share your frustration with the Schlipf gene! Although, two migraines a year would definitely be an improvement for me.

Sergei said...

mmmm....nothing warms the heart like a nice reindeer fleshpot. piping hot, set against the siberian chill - makes an old comrade long for the glory days of the revolution.

Anonymous said...

Don't particularly care for the "stinking Schlipf" phrase...

Mom

Jenny said...

sergei- you're weird. incidentally, I met a guy named dimitri at baskin robbins yesterday. he's an engineer from russia. you could probably be best friends.

sorry mom. :)