Friday, October 26, 2012

Piano Snob

I'll admit it.  *grin*

I grew up with a Yamaha, and nothing but a Yamaha will do.  They just sound better.  When I took piano at the U of I, I got to play the Steinway Grand pianos in the practice rooms.  Yamaha uprights are the only piano I've played that comes close to having the same sound. 

Anyway, there's a new Piano store in Peoria, and Cecily and I stopped in the other day.  A very nice older gentleman showed us some really cool pianos and I learned all kinds of interesting things about how Yamaha's are constructed.  Kind of fascinating, really.  The wood for the soundboards have to have a certain grain per inch, the sound boards have two angled support thingies that channel the sound so that the board is shaped more like a grand piano than an upright, the kind of wood that they use for the soundboard changes the piano sound (Cable-Nelson have Yamaha insides, different tree for the soundboard and they sound completely different!), and lots more that I've already forgotten. 

I did not tell him that I have taken apart a piano and watched the remains get tossed off a balcony.  Poor Moby, may he rest in peace (pieces?).  Hehe.

Sooooo  since they were having a grand opening sale, plus free delivery, plus free tuning, plus we've had a piano category in the budget since, oh, ever and I'd given up on craigslist,  we bought one.  It came today.  There was great rejoicing.

*sigh*  It's so pretty.  And it sounds like a Yamaha.  Now either I need to learn how to play, or somebody who is actually good needs to come play it for me...

Ignore the poor figurine that Cecily is bent on destroying...
Blessings.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

30 years ago there would also have been a chapter about Japanese vs. American made Yamahas (I think Japanese was better) and I think the Kawai name figured in there somehow... and your dad was crawling around on the floor with the salesman looking at soundboards ... and I just wanted a piano! I'm glad he was so picky. Congrats.
Mom

matt said...

Hmmm...I don't know, our 1956 Story and Clark off of Craigslist looks and sounds pretty good to us non-snobbish types (even though it needs a tuning)

The Kaiser Family said...

Beautiful Jenny! Ditto on Yamaha. I guess that means I'm a piano snob too :). Enjoy!!!

Anonymous said...

We ended up with a Yamaha too. I actually had wanted an Everett? like Mom and Dad. It is older and was well made at the time. But alas, it wasn't an option then that was reasonable. I think the woods/?craftmanship are not the quality that they were in the late 50's/early 60's in some ways, but I suppose that there may be other things too. We have enjoyed our Yamaha piano. I should try to email a picture of the "use" that it has had. Our carpet wore down where the piano sits too. I miss Ned being home more to play it as he has the longest record of the boys.
So Matt, I am sure that the Story and Clark is a great piano! If it is an upright that is an added bonus (once you can get it home and into your home:). That is the tough part!
Jenny, is it a console or upright? It is a beautiful piano!! I remember the excitement when we got ours. Grandma Wyss would be pleased! Love and miss you.
ak