Since I'm sure you've all been following congressional budget proceedings very, very, closely... the White House released the numbers for FY2012.... since, you know, the budget for FY2011 is still up for debate. The gov't fiscal year runs October to October, and we're still operating under "continuing resolution." How can they even do that?
But anyway, some crazy numbers: Proposed USDA budget for 2012 is $145 Billion. Guess what 74% of that pays for. Nutrition assistance. Food stamps, WIC, free and reduced school lunches. One hundred and seven billion dollars to feed people.
Only 13% goes to farm and commodity programs. All that farm welfare that they talk about... mere pennies. :)
And near and dear to my heart, the Ag Research Service comes in at 6%. *grin* woot woot.
Not sure what I think about it all. I'm glad I live in a country where people don't starve unless they want to. And at the same time, something's broke if we're shelling out onehundredandsevenbillion dollars a year for people to buy chips and soda and frozen dinners. I worked at Lindy's... most food stamps get spent on expensive junk food. Not all, but most.
On that note, maybe we should all just sing "It's fun to work at the U-S-D-A" to the tune of the YMCA... hehe.... with hand motions.
Blessings.
No comments:
Post a Comment