Monday, March 13, 2006

All's well that ends well!

Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide, till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide; O receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none, hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone, still support and comfort me.
All my trust on Thee is stayed, all my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head with the shadow of Thy wing.

Wow. I had an amazing weekend! I love going to Kansas. :)
On the way out Heidi and I commandeered the keys so we got to pick the music and we subjected the guys to us singing Phantom of the Opera at the top of our lungs. I'm sure we sounded pretty awful. We passed Kent and Jan Heimer...and I was driving...I wasn't going that fast, but still! It was pretty funny. Heidi and I stayed with Heidi Harter, very confusing for me. They have the same middle names so I gave up trying to differentiate.

We didn't go to the world relief meeting which was kind of disappointing, but we did rake leaves for some older ladies in town. They had another presentation Saturday night so I got to hear something about world relief at least. :) But then we left before the singing...too bad there wasn't a polite way to stay and get a ride to Harter's later. O well.

Is it bad to take your hostess snipe hunting??

We went to Sabetha in the morning and I met Gab's grandma, and then went to Bern at noon. I got to see Neal and Kim and Cailer- he's soo big! Hopefully I will get to spend a little more time with them in a few weeks.

Heidi is spending the week in Bern so Caleb, Cody and I left after church. I didn't get to listen to my Randall Goodgame CD. Mur. We passed Kent and Jan again. :)

We followed a thunderstorm/tornado across most of Missouri and Illinois. At one point I got a phone call from my mom- somehow Heimer's got a hold of her to tell her we were driving into a tornado. We had stopped for the bathroom and food (thank goodness for being hungry!) so they were actually ahead of us again.

Springfield got hit pretty hard and the storm had barely moved out when we got there. All of the power was out at the gas station where I left my car, and it was pretty eerie. It was kind of tense for a while cause Caleb and Cody left, and I tried to get on 72, only to find it blocked by state cops. I found out today that a silo had fallen across the highway and all the lanes were blocked. But I didn't know that so I waited around for a while to see if the weather or whatever would get better- all by myself in the blackout with a quickly dying cellphone. And the State cop was no help at all. Aaahh. Kind of a bad situation. Eventually I just decided to go home and not try to get to Champaign until the next morning. It probably was a good thing I didn't try to find another way back to school, cause right after I started heading North they started issuing tornado warnings for practically every town between Springfield and Champaign. And then my phone died while I was talking to Cody so I would have been phoneless.

On my to do list: get a car charger, look into conceal and carry permits.

So I got home around 11, and scared my family half to death because Dad is gone to Biloxi and my phone died before I could call to say I was coming. Jake said if had more imagination I would have found a ski mask or something. :) So then another line of storms was coming up from Missouri so I didn't sleep very well and kept waking up tense when it was windy. I was going to try to make it back for class, but at 6:30 I was so out of it I decided to skip today and slept for a few more hours.

*Sigh* I hate storms. So I had the last line of 'Jesus Lover of my Soul' in my head all last night. Thanks Cod for checking up on me....I appreciate it.

Anyway...I have to go to school tomorrow...ugh.
Blessings.

4 comments:

Luke said...

Wow, KS may have just inspired the longest blog post ever from Jenny. Next time we do this (if there is a next time) we'll communicate better, and you'll get to come to the World Relief meeting AND stay for singing. Dropping you off at Harters would've been no big deal.

And you did not "subject" me to Phantom of the Opera...as I recall, I requested it. *grin*

Thanks for coming

Anonymous said...

I happen to like Randall Goodgame:) So now i have Kent Heimer's cell number....... I think you described everything quite nicely. Although you did leave out the part where we saw like three trailer's on there sides and all of the exit signs bent backwards.....Truth be told i was just as nervous as you were. Caleb seems to be fearless.....:) All is well in Central Illinois. God is good. I'm glad you had to stop twice. Pert-near (sp) saved our lives....

Anon said...

Glad you enjoyed your trip to KS. And I'm glad you got home safe! See you in a few weeks? :)

Jenny said...

Three weeks and I'll be back! :)

I have Kent's number now too...and I'll probably never need it again.

Pert-near...you sound like my Grandma. :)