

There are a bunch of different styles if you google "tripod lamp." They're all super expensive- like over $200 each. Maybe I'm just cheap, but that seems a little excessive for a lamp. :) And then I saw this lamp and really fell in love.... haha.
I've found a few tutorials online with instructions on how to wire lamps and how to turn old tripods into lamps; between them, Bob's help, and my vague memories of 4-H woodworking projects, we built a one ourselves. Oh, and 6 trips to 4 different hardware stores. It was too much fun. The stain and varnish job isn't perfect.... our porch has been freezing the last few days so it was no fun at all. And I bought gel stain, which I've never used before and it didn't go on very evenly. Oh well, it makes it look less brand new and maybe a little bit more vintage. :)
Anyway, the final product: 


I'm not entirely sure that I like that shade. I can't decide if it's too small, or doesn't hang down far enough, or the wrong shape entirely. What do you think??
6 comments:
cool! I think the shade is a good size and that the amount of space between the shade and the base is just right. I really like the shade in the first picture, but it would probably be hard to find one like it.
I like it!! Am impressed. I think that the shade is fine. However, I think that you aren't sure because you are mixing a contemporty look with a traditional shade. If you decide to change shades, upon examination of your other pics, I think that the shades on the other have a bigger diameter which is more like the diameter at the base of the tripod?
I think that the main thing is that YOU like it. Quite a neat idea!
Maybe you could come and take some of my stuff to recycle:)
Contemporary! I should have edited:)
I ordered another shade so I'll have two options. :D We'll see if I end up with either of them.
I despise the shade. Nay, I abhor it. It wallows in the light while casting dimness upon all else. It stands in direct and mortal conflict with all that is good and pure in this world.
psssh... just because you still use oil lamps in the gulag doesn't mean I have to Grigori.
Post a Comment