Friday, September 04, 2015

10 years!!!

Happy Anniversary to this blog! 
On September 4th, 2005 I posted this poem:

He Wishes For the Cloths of Heaven
Had I the heaven's embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue
and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

William Butler Yeats

I'm not sure how I've managed to blog for 10 years....  when I was a kid I always thought keeping a diary or journal was the coolest thing (in theory) and I never lasted more than a week.  *grin*  In retrospect that's probably a good thing.  I'm not sure I would want my childhood thoughts and grammar available for reading.... not that it has gotten any better... sometimes I re-read the archives and am embarrassed for myself.    
Anyway, somehow and against all odds, "Had I the Heaven's Embroidered Cloths" has survived for an entire decade.  Craziness.  Looking back, I'm glad I started blogging.  Since I'm not a journal-er, or a true scrapbook-er, or a post-everything-on-facebook-er this is the most complete record of my life and times extant. 

In honor of this momentous occasion I am going to give away some books that represent the stages of my life since I have started blogging to my faithful readers.  This week I'll start with college- where it all began! 

Good old 709 days at U of I....  I still miss it sometimes. 
"Illini Loyalty:  The University of Illinois" by Larry Kanfer, is a lovely book of photographs of the University of Illinois campus.  The copy I'm giving away doesn't have a jacket, but it is signed by the author.  Here are some shots from inside the book- they're gorgeous!



If you leave me a comment I will put your name in a drawing for this book!  Even if you've never commented before- you should!  I will have Cecily draw a name next Friday. 
Blessings!

5 comments:

Old Farmer said...

I want it! I want it! Pick me! Pick me!
Is that a comment?
P.S. Who gives away books?

Wendi said...

I'm always up for free stuff! And I've been a faithful blog reader since the beginning I think! :)

Jodi said...

Yeah for U of I! Someone gave me one of his framed prints for graduation and I love his photographs!

Kyle S. said...

Wow...ten years....that means (random fact) that you've been blogging for 2/3 of my life. I've always enjoyed your blog very much, and hope you'll continue posting throughout the next ten!

Carmen said...

Love U of I :)