Thursday, August 04, 2011

Science

I ran across this comic this morning... it made me laugh, because it's so true. Scientists don't think of some project to try and Voila!, two weeks later it's available to the public. Sometimes I spend three or four months doing the same reaction, or testing the same material. And nothing I have worked on has been a major, change-the-textbooks, discovery. Most of research is just adding to and building upon what is already known. (of making many books there is no end...)

I worked here at the lab as a student the summer of 2006. I spent the whole time mixing up plastic resins in collaboration with a company that wanted to make bio-based chairs... it's now five years later, they dropped the project and our contact person works for a different company. My boss wrote and published a paper about the reactions and data, but will it ever get used? Who knows.

I edited for language... *grin* Click on it to make it bigger so you can read it.


No comments: